Help ID'ing named Long Thanh MACVSOG Jungle Jacket

Klaxon

Hi,

Got this killer JJ from an advanced collector along with a bunch of other RVN camies in trade for a Canadian WWI grouping. I like the non typical placement of the jump wings. I have seen other Long Thanh SF soldiers with this exact set up and pocket patch. Also the exclusion of the SF ssi on the left sleeve.

Wondering if any SF/SOG experts have any info on this NCO by the name of Beaudrie. I found only one late war SOG vet from Michigan with that last name. First name Bob. But that was just from my limited resources. Was this gent an instructor? Team member? I wish I knew. Unfortunately I don't know enough about MACVSOG to make the right connection as to what type of SF soldier would have worn a jacket with these patches.

Members thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

post-104659-0-85691300-1441983157.jpg

Thanks very much to the forum member who was nice enough to share his info thus shedding some light as to who this jacket belonged to and their MACVSOG service at the time.

Beaudrie, Robert SSG B-53 Radio Operator 06/25/70 06/07/71

Cheers,

Matt

Here's another cool photo from SOG veteran Jim Hruska"s interview on modernforces.com

You can see Capt. Hruska wearing a JJ with what looks like the same CLT patch. Also has the same lack of SSI on the left sleeve. Just 2 arcs. Ranger or Recon and Airborne I would guess.

post-104659-0-45514200-1442014899.jpg

yes very nice JJ, killer ARVN wings. At first glance i thought it as an SCU patch.

Ive nver seen a CLT patched JJ before.

I wonder if the reason to have the wings further out was so they where not hidden by the shirt collar and to show them off.

Hi 63Recon,

Thanks very much. Yes totally looks like the SCU patch. Hard to tell the two apart in period photos.

Yes definitely the reason for having the wings on the out side edge of the tapes. Surprising it wasn't more of a common practice. Makes sense you'd want to see them. You have any idea why Beaudrie and the Capt in the photo have no SSI on the left sleeve but have the SF combat patch? Was that a SOG thing?

Cheers,

Matt

I'm actually unsure as to why Capt Hruska is not wearing a SF SSI and even if he has one on the other side.

Could have just been the thing to do at CTL

There has been an SSI on yours so maybe it was just taken off to use someplace else.

but others might have a different view on it.

Hi 63Recon,

Thanks very much. Yes totally looks like the SCU patch. Hard to tell the two apart in period photos.

Yes definitely the reason for having the wings on the out side edge of the tapes. Surprising it wasn't more of a common practice. Makes sense you'd want to see them. You have any idea why Beaudrie and the Capt in the photo have no SSI on the left sleeve but have the SF combat patch? Was that a SOG thing?

Cheers,

Matt

Matt, its most likely because timeframe was when SF troops were under USARV so they wore usarv patch with airborne arc on left sleeve.

Also ballcaps were used instead of beret's that time

Mikko

Mikko, I think you're right the time frame seems right.

you think this might have been prepped for a usarv patch? Looks like the ghost of an SF SSI.

Patch collector, that is a good pic, looks like CLT patches with airborne arcs being worn by the indigs.

Hi Patchcollector, Mikko and Recon 63,

That's a great pic, thanks for posting. So much going on. Love the spray painted spot camo on the one ARVN, the CLT used on the sleeve with arc as opposed to wearing as a pocket patch and the odd looking (possibly albino) blond Viet soldier at the bottom right.

It would seem logical and it come to mind that it would be the USARVN but the SF patch was removed a long time ago. The jj is heavily worn and faded. If the patch was taken off to switch out for another there most most certainly be a shadow of the SF ssi. All the patches have been there for a long timeso he worn it with that set up I'd say since his arrival at Long Thanh. I was thinking that perhaps along with the unique way of wearing the wings on the outside edge of the tapes, Long Thanh instructors didn't wear patches on the left sleeve and the CLT pocket patch acted as the current unit identifier?

Cheers,

Matt