Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Are there any military, antique or vintage clothing shops around Philadelphia that are worth the while? As it would be nice to score some WWII memorabilia.
I couldn't really find anything online though.. As I will be around for a few days within two weeks and was hoping to visit some of these shops.

Looking forward to read some replies.

I Goldberg on Chestnut St is a historic surplus store, mostly modern crap and Euro imports but still the occasional steal. It's been around forever and is a classic stop in the city if you're a history nerd.
Everything else is hit and miss, south street has some hipster stores which occasionally have a uniform or bag, but normally marked up.

Barely any brick & mortar shops for just militaria. The only that I'm aware of is Bill Hope Military Collectibles in Cheltenham, PA (Borders Philly, although about 30 minutes from Center City, Philadelphia). He's by appointment only, though, so call him in advance. Lot's of goodies to pick through in his shop.

Address: 14 Central Ave, Cheltenham, PA 19012 Phone: 2152197852

If looking for a place to hunt on the weekend, there is Renninger's in Adamstown, PA. Large outdoor/indoor antique flea market, open on Sunday's only. It's about a 90 minutes NW of Center City, Philly. Well worth the trip though. There's also about 100 other antique shops in the area. Right around the corner from Renninger's, is Shupp's Grove, an outdoor antique flea market. Try to get to both early.

http://www.renningers.net/index.php/main-locations/adamstown/adamstown-home

http://www.shuppsgrove.com/

In Center City, at 9th & Spring Garden, there is a indoor vintage flea market 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month. Haven't been, but have heard good things. There is an outdoor counterpart hosted by the same company in the NE section of Philadelphia. Details on both at the link below.

http://www.philafleamarkets.org/schedule.php

Good luck!

P.S. Not to sound cliche, however if you are coming here and looking to try a cheesesteak, do not go to Pat's or Geno's. Those places are for tourists. Go to Dalesandro's in the Roxborough section of Philly. You won't be disappointed. :D

http://dalessandros.com/

While you may not find much to buy, the area is loaded with historical sites.

You have a host of Revolutionary War sites both in the city and at Valley Forge. Independence Hall, Betsy Ross house, Ben Franklin "ghost house" (structure built over the site of the original), etc.

You also have the SpanAm cruiser USS Olympia parked next to the submarine Becuna in Philadelphia.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/127856-uss-olympia-c-6/?hl=philadelphia

http://www.phillyseaport.org/becuna

There is a modest aviation museum near what used to be Willow Grove Naval Air Station.

http://www.wingsoffreedommuseum.org/

• 8 years later...
On 9/10/2015 at 5:14 PM, MasonK said:

Barely any brick & mortar shops for just militaria. The only that I'm aware of is Bill Hope Military Collectibles in Cheltenham, PA (Borders Philly, although about 30 minutes from Center City, Philadelphia). He's by appointment only, though, so call him in advance. Lot's of goodies to pick through in his shop.

Address: 14 Central Ave, Cheltenham, PA 19012 Phone: 2152197852

Happen to know if he is still around? Tried calling him several times, however the phone wouldn't even ring unfortunately.

I would go to the area Renningers is in, Adamstown on Reading road.

There are several military dealers there indoors and people set up outside too.

Down the street about a mile is Stoudts Black Angus another indoor outdoor year round flea market with more dealers with Militaria.

In the summer Shoops Grove is open, an outdoor flea market, very close to Angus and Renningers.

In addition to the 3 flea markets above are countless antique shops and co-ops up and down Reading rd. and many of them will have military.

If I wanted to find military in PA that is where I would go.

Phily has very little in the way of military compared to the myriad of honey holes in Adamstown.

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

I would go to the area Renningers is in, Adamstown on Reading road.

There are several military dealers there indoors and people set up outside too.

Down the street about a mile is Stoudts Black Angus another indoor outdoor year round flea market with more dealers with Militaria.

In the summer Shoops Grove is open, an outdoor flea market, very close to Angus and Renningers.

In addition to the 3 flea markets above are countless antique shops and co-ops up and down Reading rd. and many of them will have military.

If I wanted to find military in PA that is where I would go.

Phily has very little in the way of military compared to the myriad of honey holes in Adamstown.

Went to Renningers early on when I got in the US. Personally, there were some collectibles however nothing affordable or interesting.

Might give it another go this Sunday.

This time of year I would go to Black Angus first because they have several outdoor sheds for dealers and will get more dealers than Renningers.

These outdoor dealers are the ones bringing in the fresh out of a house finds.

Get there early 5am while they are coming in and setting up.

This early only outside is open so go over to Renningers to the outside dealers and then back to Angus, the two are very close.

Most buyers run between the 2 markets over and over even in the rain and in the summer you throw Shoops Grove into the mix too.

My experience has always been good buying early before all the good deals are gone.

By now it should be 8am and the inside booths at Angus and Renningers open.

The Angus restaurant is very good especially the beef and Angus is a more upper class clean place too.

I did this for over 20 years and added some great items to my collection for more than reasonable.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer if I can.

2 hours ago, manayunkman said:

This time of year I would go to Black Angus first because they have several outdoor sheds for dealers and will get more dealers than Renningers.

These outdoor dealers are the ones bringing in the fresh out of a house finds.

Get there early 5am while they are coming in and setting up.

This early only outside is open so go over to Renningers to the outside dealers and then back to Angus, the two are very close.

Most buyers run between the 2 markets over and over even in the rain and in the summer you throw Shoops Grove into the mix too.

My experience has always been good buying early before all the good deals are gone.

By now it should be 8am and the inside booths at Angus and Renningers open.

The Angus restaurant is very good especially the beef and Angus is a more upper class clean place too.

I did this for over 20 years and added some great items to my collection for more than reasonable.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer if I can.

I've been at Angus too after I went to Rennigers. Not many people where there nor lots of military stuff unfortunately.

My guess is that the good days are over but I will give it another shot on Sunday before I leave the country again.

Thanks though!

43 minutes ago, S1991 said:

I've been at Angus too after I went to Rennigers. Not many people where there nor lots of military stuff unfortunately.

My guess is that the good days are over but I will give it another shot on Sunday before I leave the country again.

Thanks though!

You have to get there while they set up which is 5 or earlier.

If you stroll in later in the day you will experience nothing.

Many people outside leave before 11am.

Ive heard a million people say the good days are over until I get there early before everyone and buy it.

Also I go every every weekend and that makes a huge difference. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2023 at 11:17 AM, S1991 said:

Happen to know if he is still around? Tried calling him several times, however the phone wouldn't even ring unfortunately.

Not sure, and unfortunately that's the only number I've seen for him. I drive near his place occasionally. I'll see if the storefront is still there and if a new # is posted. 

5 hours ago, MasonK said:

This was his storefront as of this time last year. The "For Rent" signs are for the neighboring property. 

Bill Hope Storefront.png

I think I saw a for sale sign now near his property. However the first time I drove past his property I saw the same car.

Second time I drove past his car wasn't there and I saw the for sale sign. Gave him a call several times, didn't pick up nor replied to text messages.

So I guess I'll have to try again next year.

4 hours ago, S1991 said:

I think I saw a for sale sign now near his property. However the first time I drove past his property I saw the same car.

Second time I drove past his car wasn't there and I saw the for sale sign. Gave him a call several times, didn't pick up nor replied to text messages.

So I guess I'll have to try again next year.

That's a shame. I only purchase from him a couple times. He mostly traveled to shows.

i believe last I spoke with him was 10 years ago. Maybe he's moving or getting out of Militaria.