Surgical kit, what era?

TreasureHunter

Wow, that is an awesome kit! It is rare to find them with the instruments and I love how this kit looks like it has seen some use and it appears the surgeon tailored it to his liking.

Hard to say on the era, my guess would be Korea, but I'm no expert. I'm sure some of the med experts on the forum will do better.

Congrats on a cool find!

Too Much WW1 Militaria

WW1 most likely. I'll post pictures of my grandfather's WW1 surgical kits for comparison. He had 3 kits at least. If anyone would like to see a thread on this stuff, let me know. None of these cases are medical department marked. Grandpop came into the Army in 1916 right out of medical school. Got out in 1919 as a Major. Worked mostly with the French. Have these kits, his tunic/painted helmet. Copper instrument tray for sterilizing instruments. All his paperwork got pitched before I got to it!

John

post-21147-0-06059200-1441903127.jpg

post-21147-0-96889500-1441903136.jpg

post-21147-0-79494400-1441903146.jpg

post-21147-0-64971200-1441903154.jpg

post-21147-0-99871700-1441903165.jpg

post-21147-0-05224300-1441903175.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

last picture. Again, if anyone has any interest in this stuff, I'd be glad to do a thread. And being a former combat medic, I appreciate this stuff! Freak my daughter in law out with the bone chisels in the one kit! lol

post-21147-0-06647700-1441903495.jpg

The 1930 Census confirms the Doctor was a WW1 vet. However, I do not know if the kit is WW1. He may have also served during WW2.

Nice find.

Wharf

Too Much WW1 Militaria

I'm 99% sure the kit is before WW2. The canvas roll had changed by WW2. Most of the WW1 canvas cases closed with a simple tie, as in my two bottom examples. Forgot to mention that my upper kit is from my grandfather during WW2. He was a two war surgeon. Notice the difference between the construction of the two kits. The WW1 kits if they had smaps in them, the snaps were tan in color. WW2 snaps were silver as in my upper roll. Funny though, the tools didn't change hardly at all. In fact you will find a lot of the same sissors, retractors, etc. in use in Vietnam.

John

Too Much WW1 Militaria

How should I proceed with the breakdown? Instrument by instrument? All 3 of mine are missing instruments. Grandpop "recycled" long before it was in vogue! I can also do the M1910 Officer's medical belt, I have a almost complete one, it's missing the small needle carrier which next to the diagnostic tags, is the rarest part.

John

I'm 99% sure the kit is before WW2. The canvas roll had changed by WW2. Most of the WW1 canvas cases closed with a simple tie, as in my two bottom examples. Forgot to mention that my upper kit is from my grandfather during WW2. He was a two war surgeon. Notice the difference between the construction of the two kits. The WW1 kits if they had smaps in them, the snaps were tan in color. WW2 snaps were silver as in my upper roll. Funny though, the tools didn't change hardly at all. In fact you will find a lot of the same sissors, retractors, etc. in use in Vietnam.

John

Looks WW1 to me as well...great looking kit.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Looks WW1 to me as well...great looking kit.

Ron,

Yep... I've always found the snaps to be the key in telling the difference. The kits contents didn't change that much between the wars. The rolls didn't change a lot either.

John