Serving Alongside Giants...A Marine Officer in WWII & Korea

Brig

When you read the great text of this post you know what the words Labor Of Love means thank you for posting the group.Scotty

normaninvasion

Your hard work really comes thru in this post. I agree with Bob, I would submit this beautifully crafted story for publication. So many historical components to his career. Great job

Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen. I found myself captivated as I dug deeper and deeper into this Marine's history. So many giants of the Corps that he served alongside...Chesty, Pappy, Geiger, and on and on. It also struck me that he has a very significant impact of the way this country conducted and still conducts amphibious landing operations, his fostering of our international relations that still reach to today, and that he was quite possibly one of the key figures that led to the mantra "Every Marine a Rifleman". As an MCT instructor, this hit me as very aligned to what I teach now.

For the past couple of months, I have been mulling over the idea of submitting an article to the Gazette about an idea I have kicking around about how we can develop a career progression path within the School of Infantry to not only cross-polinate the 03 community, but also best develop them for maximum proficiency as small unit leaders once they rotate back to the operating forces. I hadn't considered submitted Ridge's story, though I think perhaps Leatherneck would be a better place for it, as the Gazette seems to focus more on professional warfighting development than history. The problem is, I think the above narrative is far too long and would have to decide on how to format it for an article. Perhaps his international diplomatic relations and how they still affect the US today? Or maybe his impact on our past and present amphibious warfare doctrine? Or maybe simply his leadership in Korea and setting the stepping stone of the "every Marine a rifleman" mantra. So many smaller possible categories. I will have to mull over the approach, but I may just pursue what you guys are encouraging.

I'd also like to thank all those members that made this possible. There were many, and it was a long project, so thank you for the assist and helping bring this project to life!

Amazing work. This is another of those threads that needs to be tattooed to any militaria discussion as a reminder of what it's all about.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

I have considered doing a book that is part collecting/part historical...where items in the collection are not only displayed, but their stories are told. I was thinking it could be a collaboration depicting items and research contributed by multiple members. Question is, how do you go about pitching such a proposal?

Fantastic work Brig! You took on a monumental task and shared the history of a combat Marine in a very readable way, plus gave credit where it was due. Your work is definitely worthy of being in a publication. My hat's off to you.

I owe thanks to many members who helped me through this research and restoration, and wish to extend special thanks to our member Ricardo, who assisted in translations as well as his friend in the Brazilian Marine Corps who was able to locate some information for me from their records. It is fantastic that a Brazilian Marine was able to assist a US Marine today in researching a US Marine who provided so much assistance to the Brazilian Marines nearly 75 years ago.

This "esprit de corps" is really what it's all about! What an incredible read Brig, I feel like I just read a book about the history of a man, the record of pivotal engagements and the oft forgotten connection that the U.S. military has with Brazil. So, I'd have to agree with some of the others, this is worthy of publication. Astounding, absolutely astounding!

Incredible. Just incredible. This is the type of research we should ALL strive to do when documenting the history of our item's former owners. I hope this is pinned to showcase the amount of detail that is possible to obtain if you're not afraid of a little leg work.

This group's story will now last generations outliving all of us. You sir are an asset to this hobby and also to history. ?

I was always satisfied to just get a discharge document prior to reading this.

Wow, that is an incredible story of an incrediible man. If you find a way to get this published I'd definitely be in for a copy!

I have considered doing a book that is part collecting/part historical...where items in the collection are not only displayed, but their stories are told. I was thinking it could be a collaboration depicting items and research contributed by multiple members. Question is, how do you go about pitching such a proposal?

I've thought of this often and I think something done in volumes covering select designated time periods/ campaigns would be of real interest to not just collectors but to history enthusiasts who would appreciate the aesthetics of the stories and research about the battle/eras that the artifacts collectively tell. I for one would be in to contribute on assisting to make such an idea manifest.

Yesterday was a strange day. I read this post during my lunch hour at work and found the research interesting and well written. Last night while reading America's Tenth Legion, I also read another account of Ridge's defense of Hagaru-ri. Pretty strange coincidence. The book didn't go into detail on the defense so I will say thanks Brig. Now I have the details on the snippet of information that the book had.

Job well done sir!

Brig,

Just read this fantastic post. I grew up and went to school in and around Elgin. I have been to the Elgin Rifle Club. They are still going strong.The patch you posted is great. Here is the kicker. I work part time in a gun shop. The owner is the president of the club. I will ask her on Friday if they have any records that go back that far. PM me if you like if I can help with anything.

Yours,

Bob

Yesterday was a strange day. I read this post during my lunch hour at work and found the research interesting and well written. Last night while reading America's Tenth Legion, I also read another account of Ridge's defense of Hagaru-ri. Pretty strange coincidence. The book didn't go into detail on the defense so I will say thanks Brig. Now I have the details on the snippet of information that the book had.

Job well done sir!

Timing is everything! I'm glad I was able to expand on the Hagaru-ri Defense. It was a critical component of the Chosin operation that many units came to rely on during the withdrawal, but is often glossed over while discussing operations further north in the Reservoir, despite the fact that it was the northern most Battalion of Chesty's famed and decorated Regiment

Brig,

Just read this fantastic post. I grew up and went to school in and around Elgin. I have been to the Elgin Rifle Club. They are still going strong.The patch you posted is great. Here is the kicker. I work part time in a gun shop. The owner is the president of the club. I will ask her on Friday if they have any records that go back that far. PM me if you like if I can help with anything.

Yours,

Bob

Glad to hear they're still going strong! I would be interested to hear if they have any records. I hope the club is excited to hear of their noted former-member as I am to hear the club is still in existence!

• 2 weeks later...

Brig, Thanks for sharing, it's an amazing life story. I stumbled upon it while searching for references to Pershing Rifles. Ironically Colonel Ridge was in the same Pershing Rifles company at the University of Illinois as Major Kenneth Bailey who earned the Medal of Honor at Guadalcanal. I've added Colonel Ridge to our list of distinguished Pershing Rifles alumni on our Wikipedia page at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pershing_Rifles#Military

I would like your permission to used the photos of Colonel Ridge wearing the Pershing Rifles cord and a summary of his achievements in articles on our Facebook pages and Newsletter so present day Pershing Riflemen know about his service and valor in combat.

Kevin

Kevin Born

Pershing Rifles Historian

https://www.facebook.com/pershingrifleman

https://www.facebook.com/PershingRiflesHistory

[email protected]

Brig, Thanks for sharing, it's an amazing life story. I stumbled upon it while searching for references to Pershing Rifles. Ironically Colonel Ridge was in the same Pershing Rifles company at the University of Illinois as Major Kenneth Bailey who earned the Medal of Honor at Guadalcanal. I've added Colonel Ridge to our list of distinguished Pershing Rifles alumni on our Wikipedia page at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pershing_Rifles#Military

I would like your permission to used the photos of Colonel Ridge wearing the Pershing Rifles cord and a summary of his achievements in articles on our Facebook pages and Newsletter so present day Pershing Riflemen know about his service and valor in combat.

Kevin

Kevin Born

Pershing Rifles Historian

https://www.facebook.com/pershingrifleman

https://www.facebook.com/PershingRiflesHistory

[email protected]

You absolutely may, and I thank you for inquiring first. I have other photos of his university marksmanship events, and a pile of newspaper articles in a scrapbook that relate to his shooting, some reference Pershing Rifles.

If you'd like full size scans, or are interested in the content of these articles, shoot me a PM an we can discuss getting you the information. Additionally, feel free to utilize the information in your articles, if you'd like to discuss sources, etc, I can assist you there as well.

I hadn't known the cord was for Pershing Rifles...thank you for this info, I only have the small selection of badges above, and judging by his photos, he had many, many more

belleau_woodsman

WOW. That is amazing. I haven't seen any photos of the recruiting patch before. That is a great piece of Marine Corps history. Thanks for sharing.

• 11 months later...

Outstanding job in researching and the telling Col. Ridge's Story. Any progress in starting the book, part collection/historical? I have also been thinking about a similar project. I have several extensive paper groupings that tell the story of the veteran. In my experience the paper groupings I have discovered were contained in boxes collecting dust and in some cases water damage. Its like these veterans were boxed up to be forgotten; then people like us (passionate collectors) find them and tell their story. Again, Outstanding job. Thanks.