T.G. Faust Body Armor - 1st SFOD-D Used

Nkomo

This a T.G. Faust body armor that was used by 1st SFOD-D (Delta) in the early 90s. This type vest can be seen in use in Somalia circa 1993. Many times, a piece of velcro was sewn to the front top portion of the vest for a large US flag.

20150908_192148.jpg

20150908_192232.jpg

20150908_192356.jpg

Thanks for the comments, fellers.

As to your questuon, Cap.....I am pretty sure the Faust vest came out first. Maybe another gear collector can confirm that.

• 7 months later...

Cap,

The neck piece and groin protector are both removable. I would imagine the neck piece would be a bit uncomfortable in a hot, desert environment.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I got this reply from TG faust

"Hello,

Yes, the “SPECIAL FORCES” is the same Style that 1st SFOD-D used in Moghadishu, with a few features added.

1) MOLLE Nylon Web Strips on the pockets (front & back)

2) Side Release Buckles on the flap closures (“removable”)

3) Removable collars and throat protector

4) Rear web hand assist grip

The Ballistic Panels are Certified NIJ.06 , Level IIIA, Model; B6U6-3A The vest is priced @ DISCOUNTED $ 700 (Medium (42), Large (46), X-Large (50)

Thanks for the inquiry,

Thomas G. Faust

President

T.G. Faust Inc.

544 Minor St.

Reading, PA 19602

Tel: 610 375-8549

Fax: 610 375-4488

E-Mail: [email protected]"

• 3 weeks later...
Mercenary25

Interesting. I was always under impression that D-boys worn Progressive body armor. It's cool to have a confirmation that T.G. Faust body armor was used by D-boys in Somalia.

However....

Not saying that they didn't wear T.G. Faust body armor in somalia but it is odd that he said one of features on body armor D-boys worn in Somalia was MOLLE strips on it. The thing is there weren't any MOLLE in 1993. There are a quite few of photos of D-Boys on this OP and none of them had MOLLE. His recall could have been mixed up a bit.

Interesting. I was always under impression that D-boys worn Progressive body armor. It's cool to have a confirmation that T.G. Faust body armor was used by D-boys in Somalia.

However....

Not saying that they didn't wear T.G. Faust body armor in somalia but it is odd that he said one of features on body armor D-boys worn in Somalia was MOLLE strips on it. The thing is there weren't any MOLLE in 1993. There are a quite few of photos of D-Boys on this OP and none of them had MOLLE. His recall could have been mixed up a bit.

Exactly, Merc. Very good point. Memories fade over time for everyone.

I remember I picked up an oddball piece of gear at Bragg several years back and it was made by a well known gear maker. Since the item did have the tag from the company, but not a product number, I had my friend ask the owner of the company about it and he had a vague recollection of it, but that was it. My personal thoughts on the matter is it was a very small run of an item for some AFSOC CCTs/JTACs, especially since the photographic evidence pointed to that.

The point of my post is not to poke fun of the memories of the people who run these companies. not at all. I'm just saying that these companies have made SO much gear for soldiers in the GWOT and before, that they just can't remember everything they have made. Remember also, some of the larger companies have had many small contracts that have been for a very small limited production run. I would wager some of the larger companies have made hundreds, if not thousands of different gear contracts. No one can remember that much information in their heads.

While we are on the subject of memories, this post also highlights the importance of labeling each piece of militaria we take into our collection. I usually get a 3x5 index card and write the following:

1. Name of the piece

2. Date and location of where the item was bought

3. Who would have used the piece

4. What I paid for the item and approximately what it is worth retail

5. Any other pertinent information pertaining to the piece.

If the piece is named to a veteran, I always right that down and any other information that he/she has given me. I then place the card into a plastic baggie and place it somewhere on the piece (pocket of the uniform, plate carrier pocket on armor carriers, etc.)

If the piece comes from eBay, I will print off the auction and cut out the outside package information when the item arrives, make the 3x5 index card, place all the information into a gallon plastic bag, and place it somewhere in the piece.

I do all this because I do not want to forget where the piece came from and it also starts a chain of ownership with me that can be handed down to the next collector.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I believe what TG faust meant was the one that is currently being sold is the same as the 1993 version but the current version has MOLLE added.

• 3 years later...

I believe what TG faust meant was the one that is currently being sold is the same as the 1993 version but the current version has MOLLE added.

That's how I read it too.