dating and type of jet helmet

TLeo

For the helmet experts....I saw a jet helmet that I think may either be a aph-6 or early prk37 so couple questions about which it might be. It has a two piece form fit liner and missing a nape strap, although screw holes for it are present and apparently has the old blue chin strap. There is also an unfilled hole that in the rear in a place that often see comm wire coming from the helmet and the wire is now more on the left side. The single eek visor cover has pretty obviously been cut more of the gull shape for visibility and the helmet, while having some reflective tape, is overall just the white shell with sierra bayonet receivers. Does this sound like a remodeled aph-6 and also, with a form fit liner am I correct the nape strap would not usually be used?

I'm thinking a aph-6 due to the above features and only partial reflective tape and I believe when the prk37 came out was in the mid to late 70s. Wasn't it in the 70s that full white tape was required? I grabbed a couple quick shots of the liner and back.....

post-5081-0-94987500-1441802477.jpg

post-5081-0-05483300-1441802509.jpg

..as far as having a nape strap with the form fit liner....I do have a 26/P with same liner and a nape strap...but it is USAF not Navy

found this early -6 on a flight helmet website....www.salimbeti.com...his O2 receivers are angled for the T bayonet...yours looks to take the J style

post-155518-0-69744400-1441806314.jpg

True, the one I saw had the receivers angled for the J bayonet. I just seem to recall, but can't remember where I read about the nape strap. I could also be remembering it incorrectly as well.

Certainly looks like an early PRK-37shell to me. So many bone domes were modified by the ALSE tecs, from what I have been told is the nape strap was discontinued when a formfit liner was used. Still the holes would have been filled with epoxy.... or so you would have thought! Pity you don't have anymore photos of the helmet.

Most likely a Sierra modified USN/USMC APH-6D or HGU-2A/P / HGU-22/P shell? Has a MBU-5/P oxygen mask attached.

yes it did. wouldn't it be considered an aph-6e with addition of that type liner?

I decided to go ahead and pick up this helmet as it does appear legit flight used. It also came with a mbu-5 mask that I have doubts about belonging with it but anyway...like to hear opinions on exactly what type. I think a aph-6e from what I have been reading but not sure. I have some ear pads, foam earphone inserts and visor screws ordered to replace the missing pieces. Also like to hear any ideas of the squadron. I have found a VS squadron that used shamrocks but only one with use of three together so far is VMFA-333. The design on the back reminds a bit of a crude Japanese character and they were based in Japan mid 60's and had cruises to Vietnam as well.

post-5081-0-76244100-1442074040.jpg

post-5081-0-04471900-1442074060.jpg

northcoastaero

The helmet is most likely a VMFA-333 from the 1970s. Could be a custom flight helmet from Sierra? The USN/USMC also used the MBU-5/P mask, especially with custom flight helmets. The helmet most likely has oxygen mask receivers that are positioned for the offset J mask bayonets.

Well, I seem to have identified as indeed from VMFA-333. Found this photo on line and while not totally identical the two shamrocks are on the visor and on the right of the picture it clearly shows the top of a rectangle with green border and partial green shamrock like this one.

post-5081-0-00640200-1442100947.jpg

The helmet is most likely a VMFA-333 from the 1970s. Could be a custom flight helmet from Sierra? The USN/USMC also used the MBU-5/P mask, especially with custom flight helmets. The helmet most likely has oxygen mask receivers that are positioned for the offset J mask bayonets.

Thanks very much. This one has a straight cord with the single plug so would need a in-line amp added or not be needed then?

northcoastaero

The rectangular amplifier would be needed, probably at the end of the straight cable. The amp would plug into the top of the lower high pressure REDAR hose. The lower REDAR hose would have a locking connector on the end and most likely a Robertshaw Type 1 mini-regulator at the top. The APH-6D flight helmet cable would probably plug into the U-61/U plug on the top side of the lower REDAR hose. However, your helmet is equipped with the CX-4708A/AIC cable in helmet's latest configuration. The mask may have used another cable or there may have been another type of mask used. Just curious, what are the dates on the MBU-5/P oxygen mask?

It's a sierra and dated 74-75-76. The straight cord has a two pin u-173 connector on the end. Markings on the cord are rubbed off a bit but can make out wd/34u and mil c 5898 c.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I am not that well versed in the older helmets as I am in the newer ones so always glad to be learning some new information.