GRUMMAN OV-1 MOHAWK PARTS

bobatl

Looking at the reverse, you can see why aircraft cost so much. Two MS switches, one Commercial Off The Shelf rheostat, one special rheostat made to Grumman specs, and an edge lit panel all assembled together. During a big production program, thee might have been a building full of work benches where employees sat assembling parts into assemblies such as this. This is just one of many assemblies that go into the cockpit.

post-54142-0-97553600-1441756196.jpg

This piece goes on top of the control stick, then the standard stick grip goes on top of it. All this work so that an autopilot button can be within easy reach.

post-54142-0-96333700-1442002135.jpg

Circuit breaker panel cover. I can't find a cockpit photo that shows this but I understand that there are significant differences between the various model Mohawks. This is a thermoformed plastic part which was fairly new technology when the Mohawk was designed.

post-54142-0-07699300-1442350083.jpg

post-54142-0-28505900-1442350424.jpg

This panel is of interest due to the construction which appears to be a chemical-milled skin, a fairly new technology at the time that the Mohawk was designed.Earlier aircraft would have riveted or spotwelded a doubler to the skin but this started with a thicker skin sheet and used acid to mill out three pockets where the thick gage was not needed.

post-54142-0-84867500-1442861230.jpg

post-54142-0-33448700-1442861247.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Drill jig templates used to ensure accurate location of holes. Not sure if these particular ones were surplus after production stopped or if they may have been used for a modification in the field.

post-54142-0-55314800-1443657876.jpg

The lighting control I believe is from earlier Mohawks such as the A model. On the D model the lighting control was parl of the pilots overhead panel. Ill never forget seeing one of those panels on ebay back in the late 90s or around 2000ish for a 100 bucks, boy do I regret not buying that. I have one of the whole control stick assemblies that has that base you have with the AP release. Unfortunatly the ICS/Xmit switch is broken off and AWOL. Neat bunch of parts you have found. Are you finding them right in GA? Would make sense with them floating around there seeing the GA ARNG had them a while as well as active Army at HAAF.

The lighting control I believe is from earlier Mohawks such as the A model. On the D model the lighting control was parl of the pilots overhead panel. Ill never forget seeing one of those panels on ebay back in the late 90s or around 2000ish for a 100 bucks, boy do I regret not buying that. I have one of the whole control stick assemblies that has that base you have with the AP release. Unfortunatly the ICS/Xmit switch is broken off and AWOL. Neat bunch of parts you have found. Are you finding them right in GA? Would make sense with them floating around there seeing the GA ARNG had them a while as well as active Army at HAAF.

Mohawk parts came from a large stock of parts from a surplus dealer in Pennsylvania. A lot of his parts came from New Cumberland Army Depot but I know that he had also bought from Atlanta Army Depot over the years. He started out after WWII buying a huge stock of Stearman parts and kept turning over his inventory and buying whatever new parts became available.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the reverse, you can see why aircraft cost so much. Two MS switches, one Commercial Off The Shelf rheostat, one special rheostat made to Grumman specs, and an edge lit panel all assembled together. During a big production program, thee might have been a building full of work benches where employees sat assembling parts into assemblies such as this. This is just one of many assemblies that go into the cockpit.

Packaging was a foil lined bag covering a cardboard box.

post-54142-0-72011600-1445271772.jpg

post-54142-0-72804800-1445271806.jpg

Packaging was a foil lined bag covering a cardboard box.

Inside the cardboard box was another box, then the panel wrapped in paper.

post-54142-0-72224100-1445271914.jpg