2nd Lt. Frances L. Mueller, WW2 ANC Grouping

lambstew

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd post this grouping. Lt. Frances L. Mueller was an Army nurse assigned to the 73rd Evacuation Hospital in the China-Burma Theater. The hospital provided medical and surgical care to Army engineers and crews who were building the Ledo Road, as well as to Chinese and US soldiers. The Ledo Road was to form a link to the old Burma Road so that supplies could be sent to China by land.

The cotton tunic and skirt were locally made in either India or Burma. All insignia aside from the CBI patch is embroidered directly into the material. The silk CBI is also locally made. The kicker for me was the colour period picture which shows 2nd Lt. Mueller wearing this uniform. There were some other colour pictures (real colour pictures and not colourized), showing her and some other nurses on leave around Karachi and on the Persian Gulf/beach which are also cool.

There are pictures and documents from her husband as well who served in the same theater. He was a Captain with the 682nd AAA Battery (unit commander).

The grouping came with a lot of paperwork and a copy of a memoir written by the 73rd Commander and a copy of a diary written by nurse.

It's not often you see nurses stuff from the CBI so here goes:

Cheers!

Konrad

EDIT: All pictures have been lost

First of all welcome to the forum!

Second of all : what an excellent grouping. I especially like the embroided insignia on the jacket!

Sofie

..thanks for the thumbsup.gif She's also not hard on the eyes either :rolleyes: ..

I'll try to take some pictures of some of the other documents I have with the grouping, including the one of her husband, which is a great portrait shot of him wearing an A-2 flying jacket.

Sadly there was no hat when I bought the grouping.

Cheers!

Konrad