BB&B Silver Star #13950

reinking71

Picked up a BB&B silver star this weekend that is not named bur numbered 13950. Is there any way to research this medal by the number?

Thanks

post-3453-0-84973200-1441726462.jpg

There is a very slim chance that it could be traced, the medal is a Bailey Banks and Biddle Silver Star Medal that were initially awarded to WWI back to the Civil War for those solider, sailors or marines who were cited for valor and authorized a Silver Star Citation which was used to award them a Silver Star starting in 1932. The SSM’s were used in WW2 until exhausted from the inventory.

Do you know where the medal came from? If so look for any veterans who may have been awarded the SS early in the WW2. Many of the units serving in the North African, Sicily and Italian campaigns produced General Orders where the medal number was posted with the name of the individual. I have a PH that was issued to a tanker who was wounded in the North African Campaign with the 1st AD, the number is listed on the award document. I know that this is a shot in the dark but you may get luck. Best of luck!

Thank you for your reply. Thought about that but the star is from Southern California and with post war migration not sure it would be feasible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Don't know if it is of interest to you, but I just picked up #13918. It came out of Texas. Still don't know how use the number to research the recipient. Any thoughts since September?