Beret, Green - 1967

WAHOOMAN

I recently picked up this 1967 Green Beret. The Special Forces DUI was on the beret without a flash. Maybe this was a first issue beret to the soldier.

post-96084-0-76408500-1441680838.jpg

post-96084-0-66014200-1441680867.jpg

This photo is shown in the forum topic on berets.

I was also looking for the topic or photos I recall of SF in training or attending a school.Several wore only a DI.I recall those not assigned to a group wore the DI??

Hopefully one of the members who were in SF will add more info.We have a lot of great vets here with endless first hand knowledge that is shared and wonr be found in books.

post-342-0-28397800-1441685262.jpg

I don't know how they did it in the 60's but in the 1980's (at least in 5/19th which was a CO ARNG unit) the rule went like this: If you were non-airborne qualified, you wore the regular baseball cap (with the green OG 107 fatigues) or the BDU cap (once BDUs were issued starting in 1982.)

Soldiers who were Airborne qualified but not SF qualified wore the green beret with the "recognition bar" underneath the crest. The crest itself was worn directly on the beret and the recognition bar was a horizontal bar of cloth that was of the same color as the flash (in our case, a solid medium blue.) The recognition bar was commonly referred to as a 'candy stripe' and those who wore it were referred to as "candy stripers."

Soldiers who had completed the SF Qualification (or "Q") course wore the full flash behind their crest. For this reason, becoming SF qualified was often referred to as becoming "full flash" qualified.

I don't know how the active units did it at this time but that's how we did it in the Guard.

I never saw anybody wear a crest directly on the beret with no candy stripe underneath it but they may well have done it this way in the 60's. The whole beret thing has evolved quite a bit in the 50 or so years since the tradition started.

I have a photo of the veteran and he is wearing his Class A's with a Green Beret with the 7th Group Flash. My best guess is that this beret was the one issued upon finishing the Special Forces course. He subsequently wore a green beret with the 7th Group flash upon receiving assignment to the 7th Group. Based on my research he entered the service between 1967 - 1968. As Martinjmpr indicated, the wearing of the green beret has evolved quite a bit since the inception of the Special Forces. Thanks for the feedback.

In 1967 the Green Beret was worn with only the SF DUI by enlisted trainees in SFTG after completing Phase I of the SF Qualification Course. Upon graduating from SFTG graduates were given a beret with the flash of the group they were assigned to.

Everyone assigned to an Active duty SFG in 67 wore the groups headgear (Green Beanie) including Legs.

SF qualified wore the group flash, support personnel wore the group recognition bar (candy bar, candy stripe, striker bar) on their beret.

Reserve/National Guard groups played by their own rules.

• 2 weeks later...