VJ-Day Notification

marysdad

I'm mostly a bayonet collector, so don't post much outside of the edged weapons forum. I have had this for many years and never have been able to authenticate it or find out more about it. I did take it to Antiques Roadshow in 2000 and the appraiser said it looked to be period, but couldn't tell me more. I don't know how to make sense of the coding across the bottom or the red grease pencil mark. I thought I would share it in hopes that someone has seen one elsewhere and knows something. Surely, there were many produced, however, I have looked for years and not come across another.

post-14915-0-72958800-1441678465.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick brush of what looks like the CinCPac Fleet HQ organization - - Remember, the message may be from Marshall to MacArthur, but it is being recorded on an CinCPac message flimsy:

Adm =Admiral

Dep = Deputy

CofS = Chief of Staff

ACS = Assistant Chief of Staff

F Sec = Flag Secretary

Fl Lt = Flag Lieutenant

Oper = Operations Officer or staff

Plans = Plans Officer or staff

Comm = Communications Officer

Avia = Aviation Officer

Log = Logistics Officer

SDO = Staff Duty Officer

Plot = Flag Plot Officer (mapping)

Amal ?? Anal ?? can’t read it . . . doesn’t matter, don’t know what it is anyway, and the same goes for pretty much the rest of them going off to the right.

You might be interested in some follow-ons, these from the ComTF-38 communications records:

Attached here and next two messages . . . First is page 1 of a 2 page message, second page is next post; third post is the next pertinent message.

01 message.pdf