U.S. Navy sailors sporting beards during ww2?

Khe Sanh68

We were allowed to have beards in the Navy until the early 1980's aboard ship. I miss that tradition. Sailors could have them ashore too. Not while stationed with Marine Corps.

Your most welcome.

Im not sure what was allowed or just tolerated.... ;):lol:

There were some Rangers and First Special Service Force members who sported some well groomed mustaches in the Italian Campaign

It has been my impression that forward deployed sailors in WW2 got away with much in terms of facial hair standards. I think this happened mostly in the Pacific, and is seen in the Sea Bee's, Subs and some surface vessels. As to the Coast Guard, they were part of the Navy, completely . And totally dictated by the command. Totally different from the facial hair standards in the 70's and early 80's In my opinion the Zumwalt hair standards kind of reflect by extention the antiquated shipboard fire fighting techniqes of the time. I know this is a hot button topic but honestly if you want to argue this point be ready to give us a full explanation as to the workings of a Flame Safety Lamp and you can keep your beard.

Salvage Sailor

Anyone catch the restored version of John Huston's "Report from the Aleutians"?

youtube - there are also other topics on the forum for this film

Forward to the 45 minute mark - Beards on Doggies, Swabbies, Coasties.....1942/1943

Also.....an excellent source of period color films of aircrew combat over Japanese occupied Kiska.

The documentary also names some of commanders and pilots - in their patched A-2's