Odd Son in Service Pin

sniperfoot

I saw this recently (didn't buy it) and was wondering what the white edging around it symbolizes. Most simply have the red background without the white around the edges. Anyone know?

post-3796-1218403835.jpg

Homefrontguy

I would suspect it is just a design variation maybe inteneded to make the red stand out more vividly. I have never seen or heard anything on the meaning of an additional white border. There are many design variations to the typical rectanglular shaped pin in terms of size, shape (bells, waving flags, ovals, hearts, stars) and material which you propbably already know so I apologize if I am repeating something you may know already.

For those interested in these items ...

A good resource for Sweetheart jewelry collectors is Nick Snider's book Sweetheart Jewelry and Collectibles as a portable hard copy resource when you dont have access to the forum. He is also the director of the National Museum of Patriotism in Atalanta for those of you in the area or traveling.

Cheers,

Jim

Homefrontguy

I would suspect it is just a design variation maybe inteneded to make the red stand out more vividly. I have never seen or heard anything on the meaning of an additional white border. There are many design variations to the typical rectanglular shaped pin in terms of size, shape (bells, waving flags, ovals, hearts, stars) and material which you propbably already know so I apologize if I am repeating something you may know already.

For those interested in these items ...

A good resource for Sweetheart jewelry collectors is Nick Snider's book Sweetheart Jewelry and Collectibles as a portable hard copy resource when you dont have access to the forum. He is also the director of the National Museum of Patriotism in Atalanta for those of you in the area or traveling.

Cheers,

Jim

Homefrontguy

thank you. People fought over this one on ebay (I'm an ebay addict - I don't always buy but love looking) - it went for over $30 which is a lot for a one star pin. I thought that maybe the white had some significance like a gold star means KIA. Thank you for the book recommendation - I have been looking for a good reference book on this! I will check it out - thanks!