Surviving BLACK THURSDAY - Group to Schweinfurt Raid Co-Pilot 10/14/43

KASTAUFFER

I recently acquire this group from Ebay in multiple lots and saved it from being split up.

This group represents the saga on one B-17 named Brennan's Circus . She flew with the 94th Bomb Group , 8th AAF. What that single B-17 endured during the Schweinfurt Raid, is the thing legends are made of. She is mentioned in a number of books about the raid on October 14, 1943 and on a number or websites.

Here is a copy of a news release from the 8th AAF that does a great job of describing the mission and the part played by Brennan's Circus

019975c0b9de4ce42f6684e904e8cad46fa70ee3bc.jpg

This group is from the Co-Pilot of the Plane. He survived the raid and completed his 25 missions earning a DFC and the Air Medal with 3 OLCs.

whte.jpg

01cfb488a48e68adb579cdd531c2ff3fc43e030737.jpg

The boxes are leather over wood, and the seller did not mention the fact they were numbered. I knew they had to be but I never asked them if they were, Why alert everyone else?

01d766cd681375c86b955bfb00c1c993e125e7a791.jpg

01d54468e4e4242b7f1e764f8c51faa4ab4b230910.jpg

He completed his pilot training at the Mira Loma Flight Academy. The owner of the Academy was known for giving gifts to those who completed training, Here is a photo of him graduating along with some of the items:

01b4bc1cb521bea893ca7eb0861432e69db98b7657.jpg

01eaf1d0c624abb8da25e230f440e71124f9249966.jpg

Great stuff! I first heard of "Brennen's Circus" in a book out of my elementary school library. It was called "Airwar Against Hitler's Germany". That was on of two books I found as a kid back in the late 60's that sent me down the path of no return. Amazing to see this and immediately remember that book :)

Lets not forget the other men that flew that day. Here are photos of other members of the crew. They appear to have been all taken at the same time in England most likely for publicity.All are identified on the back.

It will be interesting to see how the new HBO series will portray the men of the Mighty Eighth.

01f95ca7e8b89fe41262edbdc89c146309c77e07a0.jpg

Real nice grouping!

It will be interesting to see how the new HBO series will portray the men of the Mighty Eighth.

Any update on when this series is going to debut?

Kurt -

Outstanding! Great work to keep it all together. I'll be looking over this for the rest of the night.

Incedently, would you categorize this as something that refutes the "nothing good turns up on ebay" or "everything on ebay is too expensive" arguments? ?

Best,

Bill K.

Very nice group! All great components. As for the HBO series, it will be based on the 100th Bomb Group. They started interviewing 100th vets last fall.

JD

Wonder who will play Rosie? Trying to picture the two Bucky's and Harry Crosby. frank Valesh, Cowboy Roane, the list goes on :)

I wonder if they'll try and show us Bernie Lay's view from Picadilly Lily at Regensburg. The pressures on for that one :)