WWII AAF gun parts pouches?

oldabewla

Craig

Im guessing that these were some form of pouchesfoarepaio part kt.The bags look numbered and the DZUS is a fastener often used in aircraft applications.There is also a specific tool used for them.I have one propably Vietnam era

This link shows different fasteners

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dzus+fasteners&id=F8D86AD7E5420D561CA37F98B8F37E3481CE9434&FORM=IQFRBA

The ones marked AN 3-XX are for an aircraft quality bolt. They are still used in aviation today, and the bolts are the same diameter & thread as a 10-32 machine screw. The number after the dash is usually the length of the bolt in 8ths of an inch if a single digit number, or the length in inches for the first digit plus the number of 8ths for the second digit. Here is a link: http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/an3_thru_an20.pdf

The Dzus fastener is a quarter turn fastener found in a couple of different styles and is also still used today.

I can't quite make out all the markings on the lower left bag, but AN 310-4 comes up as a castellated nut, and AN 382-2-2 comes up as an old number for a cotter pin. Not sure what the "collector" is.

The wrench / DZUS tool shown I have heard called a "Snoopy Tool" the out line looks like the cartoon dog Snoopy

We most certainly called them "Snoopys". Later ones that we had from the early 80s on had plastic grips. The F-15, and especially the F-4 were loaded with Dzus fasteners. You could use a common screwdriver to turn them as well, or if needed a quarter would work in a pinch!

Randy

Now I'm mad as H***! :D I used my personal purchase swiss army knife to open those panels on the RF-4C. Now your telling me almost 40 years later that I should have been issued a "Snoopy tool". OH! the injustice. Seriously, pretty cool to hear the "rest of the story", better late than never.

Now I'm mad as H***! :D I used my personal purchase swiss army knife to open those panels on the RF-4C. Now your telling me almost 40 years later that I should have been issued a "Snoopy tool". OH! the injustice. Seriously, pretty cool to hear the "rest of the story", better late than never.

Well, by the 80s use of personal tools was a capital offense! If you worked F-4s, then you know between the doors for engine start, electrical hook up, hydro systems etc. there were about 100 of those suckers to close during launch. Getting caught by QA using something outside of the CTK box might have meant Leavenworth...Oh, and never get caught using the drag chute streamer to close the door! :D

Randy