Sign in to follow this  
pennsylvaniaboy

Shanghai Navy Photo

post-148661-0-67528000-1441583515.jpg

I have had this photograph for some time. It is smaller than a normal cabinet photograph and has a hinged tissue paper that drops over the front. The photographer is La Fong and Cox/Shanghai.

Would be curious as to what others think. The cap badge is clear with an anchor and USN. The buttons on the jacket have a fair amount of glare coming off of them so they cannot be read.

It came out of a now-closed used bookstore in Chambersburg Pennsyvlania.

Nice photo of a Navy Petty Officer! La Fong was active in Shanghai at least as early as 1903. The paper hinge is a common practice on photos taken in the orient up to and soon after WW2. It's a beautiful image. I am not an expert on Navy uniforms but I think you looking at a portrait taken before WWI.

Always looking for items associated with the China Marines! Visit chinamarine.org

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Yes I agree he was a good photographer.....the images of his that I have seen are always clear and clean and that one looks well composed.

Always looking for items associated with the China Marines! Visit chinamarine.org

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I wonder what his background/training was. Over the years, I have collected a fair number of studio portrait photographs of soldiers in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Some of these folks were clearly cranking out the images with a view towards speed rather than quality. LaFong and Cox clearly were highly skilled and meticulous photographers. Sorry this image is not identified as I would love to know how it came to be in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.