Hi Standard Supermatic Tournament Model 102 U.S.

OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

Just purchased this pistol, s/n 974XXX, and know that it was a training weapon and probably manufactured 1959-1960. Any way to determine under what contract it was procured and possibly where it was initially put into service? Nay leads for more information very much appreciaterd.

post-10036-0-68279300-1441582537.jpg

post-10036-0-61459200-1441582726.jpg

El Bibliotecario

This is pure speculation, but during my military service I never saw commercial target pistols used for training. Where I did see them in abundance was in higher level Army Marksmanship Training Units, which, despite their name, existed to field competitive teams. Again, pure speculation on my part. Perhaps the Marines did things differently.

OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

I agree...to a degree. It's well documented that, in WWII, many Hi Standard .22's were used for training to conserve higher caliber ammo. I do know for a fact, that we had 13 Hi Standard target models in our base armory reserved for use by the R&P Team (along with Colt Gold Cup and NM .45's) I still have a list of the serial numbers.

OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

Received information from John Stimson: "974XXX shipped as a catalog number 9271 with key serial number 973,215 on 7/30/1959 to account number 9872 on a Government Export order." Where it went and how it was used is anyone's guess.

I, erroneously, assumed that it has a Parkerized finish. Stimson has convinced me that it is original and blued. The matted/dull appearance is due to the fact that the factory used an abrasive blast on these particular pistols prior to blueing.