Arizona Military Museum (Picture Heavy!)

WW2JAKE

Cobra 6 Actual

the "not so great escape" is actually a pretty humorous story in my opinion

Again, it was definitely interesting. I even went searching for the swale that they supposedly used, but no joy. Thanks again!

Some great items there Jake.. Papago Park POW compound has a very rich history. I did a paper when I was in college about a German Submariner POW who was murdered at Papago Park after his transfer there. He was giving information to the US Navy about U-boat capabilities and the other German POWs found out who it was and within 15 minutes of arriving at the camp he was found hanging in the rafters of the shower room. His body was transferred to Ft Bliss and is buried at the Fort Bliss National Cemetery. His name was Werner Dreschler..

Leigh

Some great items there Jake.. Papago Park POW compound has a very rich history. I did a paper when I was in college about a German Submariner POW who was murdered at Papago Park after his transfer there. He was giving information to the US Navy about U-boat capabilities and the other German POWs found out who it was and within 15 minutes of arriving at the camp he was found hanging in the rafters of the shower room. His body was transferred to Ft Bliss and is buried at the Fort Bliss National Cemetery. His name was Werner Dreschler..

Leigh

That's an unfortunate story, but I'm sure it happened more than once... some of the less gruesome story's are pretty funny to listen to, the Germans using toothpaste and stuff molding iron crosses and such painting them black and selling it to the guards for money lol. Wonder what one of those would be worth today!

• 4 months later...

No, that's natural. Every now an then you got a troop like that. They were useful in reaching the high shelves in the supply room.

Salvage Sailor

Here's the item which wouldn't fit in a display case.....were there any small items from her displayed?

USS PAPAGO (ATF-160)

USS PAPAGO (ATF 160) RIGGING FOR TOWING AN ARG FROM PORT ARTHUR TX 1970s.JPG

Here's the item which wouldn't fit in a display case.....were there any small items from her displayed?

USS PAPAGO (ATF-160)

believe not, I think just the Arizona