Possible 1st marked 1928 saddle

Walch

I recently received this saddle from my grandfather, after spending the last few years admiring it hanging in his tack shed. i can't make out any markings other than the stirrups are marked 1917. The scabbard was what my great grabdfather used to pack his 270 around while deer huntin. Marked 1918. Any comments suggestion will be welcome. I hope to rig this pack as accurate as I can and money will allow over the next few years. Thanks for looking!

That looks like a fine example of the model 1928(modified) McClellan saddle. Short history on these was that in the post WWI era the Army was desiring a replacement for the '04 saddles then in use. However budgets being what they were, and with probably tens of thousands of WWI contract 04s sitting in warehouses a total new saddle wasn't going to fly. So the plan was that by modifying the WWI produced 04s with english saddle style girth, less complicated stirrup straps that could be adjusted while mounted, English saddle style skirts, and cut down stirrups with the hoods removed, the most desirable characteristics of the saddle they wanted could be created. Instructions and kits for modifying the saddles went around to all the major cavalry posts and by the early 40s only the artillery was still using the 04. Workmanship on the '28 (modified) McClellans varied as well as completeness of the conversion. Your saddle has the sheepskin on the bars, the skirts, presumably the english style girth, but appears to retain the 04 type stirrups and straps. The rifle scabbard looks to be a very nice piece as well and is issue for the 03 rifle probably again a WWI contract piece. Please keep it in beautiful condition it deserves and resist the tempation to "treat" the leather with anything.

Tom Bowers

If you wouldn't mind posting a photo of the girth, there were several types of issue girths that were around at the time and I'd like to see if this is one and which one it is.

Tom Bowers

Sorry it took so long to get it up, but here's the gith

That is a nice example of the M1936 mohair cord girth. Clearly identifiable by the small rings woven into the re-inforcement. These rings were there for the saddlebag straps to be attached to which kept the saddlebags from "flapping" and are not present on similar civilian girths. This girth was also issued with the phillips officer saddle but is absolutely correct for use with the M-1928 (modified) McClellan saddle. Issued in several lengths from 44-50 inches. I'm jealous as I've been looking for one for a while. Great piece together with you '28 saddle.

Tom Bowers

Thanks again for the information Tom. I haven't found a lot of information on the girth. But now I do. I'm glad you like it. I just received the proper snaps for the scabbard, from Hayes Outapalik. I am slowly trying to outfit this saddle. Thanks again. What canteen set up would be proper for this saddle? I have a mounted canteen cover with the reinforced back. Would you guys suggest getting the tee style hanger, or waiting and finding a cover with the leather strap?

Thanks again for the information Tom. I haven't found a lot of information on the girth. But now I do. I'm glad you like it. I just received the proper snaps for the scabbard, from Hayes Outapalik. I am slowly trying to outfit this saddle. Thanks again. What canteen set up would be proper for this saddle? I have a mounted canteen cover with the reinforced back. Would you guys suggest getting the tee style hanger, or waiting and finding a cover with the leather strap?

It depends on what unit, but the majority of the canteens seen right to the end of the horse drawn era were the 1917 style (with the leather strap). Just FYI the last run I'm aware of for the 1917 canteen covers (mounted) was made in 1935 at JQMD.

Tom Bowers

• 1 month later...

The proper canteen for this saddle would depend upon the era you wish to represent. Your saddle with the leather covered stirrups would represent the earlier version of this saddle.In this case the leather strapped canteen would be proper. During the later years of issue, the stirrup hoods were removed and the wood was cut down to reduce the depth of the tread. This would be correct for a WW2 setup. The later reinforced canvas cover and "tee" strap would be correct. The saddle in the accompanying photo has fenders dated 1941 and has a third version of the '28 stirrups. These were manufactured hoodless with a narrow tread and dated 1942 under the tread. These are the last of the wooden stirrups manufactured for the McClellan saddle. The canteen has the reinforced cover and tee strap. The girth on this display is the M1917 canvas girth. Both the M1936 mohair and the M1917 were correct for this saddle

Best, George

post-2782-0-10189000-1447213989.jpg

The vertical saddle bag straps are meant to pass through the horizontal loops of the canteen cover and then back through the saddle bag. The first MOLLE . The vertical loop on the canteen could be worn with the trouser belt when either pistol or cartridge belt was too burdensome.

Included is a photo showing attachment to a saddle bag as well as being worn on the trouser belt.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/761950567256955/

post-2473-0-47288800-1447291341.jpg

post-2473-0-58862500-1447291363.jpg

On the subject of the m-1941 mounted canteen they did start to appear on horse and mule units in 1943 and was a TO and E item for the post war horse platoons in the HQ Troop of a Constabulary regiment (weirdly enough every mounted man in the platoon is issued a machete).

Thank you both for your information. I do not necessarily have a certain unit in mind. I am kinda shooting for a interwar style of rig. This saddle seems to be a fairly good example. Considering the stirrups are not cut down and the bars are covered with sheepskin opposed to canvas, which I understand was later. I love seeing the photos, what kind of knife would be carried by the cavalry? Possibly a m3 in the one photo? Thanks a lot for the time you have all spent helping me out. One more question would be when did the cavalry stop using Springfields?