3in Stokes Mortar- AEF

Haditha07USMCR

Haditha07USMCR

I am hitting a dead end with google searches for information. I am needing detailed pictures of 3in Stokes Mortar's with the AEF or British forces, or any modern photos. Of particular interest are any variation of the base-plates. I am attempting to build a base-plate and bi-pod system. Thanks.

Josh

world war I nerd

I forgot has this one. It was posted by another member somewhere else here on the forum. It too does not show the baseplate ...

post-5143-0-84733300-1441585806.jpg

Haditha07USMCR

Thanks for the input. I have lots of pictures of the first style baseplate, the one that was just pressed metal. Wanting to find other late war variations/ more information when they transitioned.

• 6 months later...

I got some info for you. Take a look at the pics. If they are what you are looking for, PM me an email address and I will send you the whole document. Its a scared copy of the 3 in Stokes Trench Mortar, Mark 1, dated 1921. I pulled a few pics from it, so let me know.

Smitty

post-162205-0-13534600-1457744920.jpg

post-162205-0-16342100-1457744934.jpg

post-162205-0-51146300-1457744949.jpg

Brian Keith

Good Luck on your project, a mortar bi-pod is a very detailed and intricate system! I hope you are a top notch machinist! I wonder if component drawings are available. I have access to a US WW II 81mm bipod and Chinese VN era bipods.

BKW

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread to see if the original poster would share how the bipod came out. I have a stokes mortar replica that I would like to try to put a better looking bipod on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello EOD- So do you have any information on the fuse used on the US 6" Newton/Stokes? I have restored the mortar and have found three projectiles, but no correct fuse info. One the one "bomb" I have a McMaster-Carr plumbing reducer and a Brit fuse that fits. Any help would be appreciated.

Illinigander

• 1 year later...

Illinigander,

I got a manual on the 6in Trench mortar dated Jan 6, 1919. No mention of Newton/stokes. I think its what you are looking for. It mentions the Mark XVI with and without delay. It also speaks of the adapter you mentioned. If you send me an email. I will send the pub. It has picture of the fuze. I will try and put it in this post. If its not what your looking for, i will look some more. I have plenty on the 6in Armsrtrong gun! LOL!

My email is [email protected]

Dean

post-162205-0-74995500-1550038609.png

Sorry for the long delay in reply to your request. I have been recently moved from Iraq to Kabul and have been getting settled! LOL! EOD folks are kinda busy here!!

Smitty

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ccy and EOD- Sorry I am late in replying. I have those drawings; what I really need are the dimensions for the fuze adapter ring, and has anyone ever seen a Mark VII fuze? Actually we copied that 6" from the Brits who called it a 6" Newton mortar. The US re-engineered the suspension, they had stamped metal wheels, and we replaced them with turnbuckles. We sent 50 of them to France, very late and they never made it to the front. They were to be used to blow holes in the trench wire. I think they were quite dangerous and they never used later.

Thanks for the help, Illinigander