Women's Auxillery Ferrying Squadron

hirsca

Show and tell this morning with a friend of mine. He had recently picked up this wartime booklet published by a radio station in Topeka, Kansas. Lots of information about employees in the services and a good deal of info on all of the branches' insignia, uniforms, etc. This particular page has the image of a WAFS, but not one for a WASP. Was it just a name change later? We think the booklet was printed in 1943. Thanks, Al

post-12790-0-27490700-1441562689.jpg

post-12790-0-56845600-1441562724.jpg

post-12790-0-26561700-1441562742.jpg

memphis_belle

Wiki says:

The WASP's predecessors, the Women's Flying Training Detachment (WFTD) and the Women's Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron (WAFS) organized separately in September 1942. They were the pioneering organizations of civilian female pilots, employed to fly military aircraft under the direction of the United States Army Air Forces during World War II. The WFTD and WAFS were merged on August 5, 1943, to create the paramilitary WASP organization.

:)

Wiki says:

The WASP's predecessors, the Women's Flying Training Detachment (WFTD) and the Women's Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron (WAFS) organized separately in September 1942. They were the pioneering organizations of civilian female pilots, employed to fly military aircraft under the direction of the United States Army Air Forces during World War II. The WFTD and WAFS were merged on August 5, 1943, to create the paramilitary WASP organization.

:)

Many thanks memphis_belle. My Wiki search did not have that exact detail. Thanks again, Al

Al,

Fantastic booklet! The WAVES were established in July of 1942. The WAACS became the WAC in July of 1943. I noticed that the USMCWR is not shown. They were established in Feb of 1943. Based on the women shown, I would say this booklet dates from July 1942 to Jan 1943. I would guess late 1942 would be a good estimate.

It looks like these are the women shown. I am not sure about the one to the right of the Navy Nurse. What is that one?

WAAC
WAVES
WAFS
6 Red Cross (bottom row plus left on next to bottom row)
NNC
ANC
Women’s Voluntary Services. Correct?

One next to NNC? Looks like civilian something.

Here is a little more info about the WAFS. Nancy Love started the WAFS. There were only 28 of them which is amazing they were shown in this booklet.

http://www.twu.edu/library/wafs-history.asp

“These twenty-eight women, "The Originals" as they would come to call themselves, began ferrying light aircraft and primary trainers such as Stearmans and PT-19 Fairchilds. They quickly went on to check-out in larger aircraft including pursuit planes such as the P-38 and P-51. The WAFS merged with Jackie Cochran's program, the Womens Flying Training Detachment (WFTD) in 1943 to become the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP). Collectively these women surpassed all expectations and proved that women could fly military aircraft with as much skill and competency as their male counterparts."

....Kat

Al,

Fantastic booklet! The WAVES were established in July of 1942. The WAACS became the WAC in July of 1943. I noticed that the USMCWR is not shown. They were established in Feb of 1943. Based on the women shown, I would say this booklet dates from July 1942 to Jan 1943. I would guess late 1942 would be a good estimate.

It looks like these are the women shown. I am not sure about the one to the right of the Navy Nurse. What is that one?

WAAC

WAVES

WAFS

6 Red Cross (bottom row plus left on next to bottom row)

NNC

ANC

Women’s Voluntary Services. Correct?

One next to NNC? Looks like civilian something.

Here is a little more info about the WAFS. Nancy Love started the WAFS. There were only 28 of them which is amazing they were shown in this booklet.

http://www.twu.edu/library/wafs-history.asp

“These twenty-eight women, "The Originals" as they would come to call themselves, began ferrying light aircraft and primary trainers such as Stearmans and PT-19 Fairchilds. They quickly went on to check-out in larger aircraft including pursuit planes such as the P-38 and P-51. The WAFS merged with Jackie Cochran's program, the Womens Flying Training Detachment (WFTD) in 1943 to become the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP). Collectively these women surpassed all expectations and proved that women could fly military aircraft with as much skill and competency as their male counterparts."

....Kat

Hi Kat. Thanks for the kind words and information. The booklet belongs to a fellow collector friend and is not in front of me now. We do a show and tell every couple of weeks or so and he brought the booklet last Sunday. What I can make out on the woman to the right of the Navy Nurse is: Civilian ?????? Worker. I'll reach out to my friend and get the name.

Thanks, Al

Al,

Based on the patches on the uniform, I think the unknown woman is a Civilian Defense Worker. I zoomed in on the picture and the number of letters in the middle word matches "defense".

...Kat

Al,

Based on the patches on the uniform, I think the unknown woman is a Civilian Defense Worker. I zoomed in on the picture and the number of letters in the middle word matches "defense".

...Kat

Good G2 work Kat!

Al