Marine POW from Wake Island's Medals

RobertE

That is an outstanding grouping you have!!! Is the Good Conduct medal named? Also is the Marine Expeditionary medal numbered? If so, you may want to update the medal thread under the medals and decorations section: http://www.usmilitar...y-medal-s-ided/ There is another Wake Island POW listed on there as well.

Jim

Brian Dentino

An absolutely stunning grouping! Attributed Wake items are very hard to find and this is a center piece set. Great to see, thanks for sharing!

Wonderful set of medals to a Marine who survived a tough tour during the war! As stated, Wake items are difficult to find, particularly such a nice and complete grouping. Definitely a centerpiece grouping

Thanks for commenting, folks. The medals are named and numbered, with some good documentation.

That is an outstanding grouping you have!!! Is the Good Conduct medal named? Also is the Marine Expeditionary medal numbered? If so, you may want to update the medal thread under the medals and decorations section: http://www.usmilitar...y-medal-s-ided/ There is another Wake Island POW listed on there as well.

Jim

post-158761-0-82008800-1441393394.jpg

Great group, I have a nice collection of a civilian dock worker who was also captured on Wake. He spent almost 4 years in POW camp mainly in China. Again great group thanks for sharing

I do have pictures of him, Ky, including repatriation coming back through Hawaii, combat from the Korean War, immediate post-war duty on the drill field (8 x 10s), and as an extra in a San Francisco post-war TV show spoof on the Marine Corps called "Parade Rest". I also have his biography detailing his service, all DD214s, all promotion warrants, MCIs, repatriation paperwork after PW release, a statement from his last Japanese prisoner guard officer asking for everyone to be friends once released, postcards and envelopes to him while a prisoner, Western union telegrams during the war, and official correspondence to his family updating home on his status from initial capture through several camp transfers.

He's in the Alpha greens in the group picture, with names and addresses on the back and dated 1946. He was born in NYC.

I actually like the paperwork more than the hardware, if such a thing is possible.

s/f Robert

post-158761-0-23521400-1441736443.jpg

I do have pictures of him, Ky, including repatriation coming back through Hawaii, combat from the Korean War, immediate post-war duty on the drill field (8 x 10s), and as an extra in a San Francisco post-war TV show spoof on the Marine Corps called "Parade Rest". I also have his biography detailing his service, all DD214s, all promotion warrants, MCIs, repatriation paperwork after PW release, a statement from his last Japanese prisoner guard officer asking for everyone to be friends once released, postcards and envelopes to him while a prisoner, Western union telegrams during the war, and official correspondence to his family updating home on his status from initial capture through several camp transfers.

He's in the Alpha greens in the group picture, with names and addresses on the back and dated 1946. He was born in NYC.

I actually like the paperwork more than the hardware, if such a thing is possible.

s/f Robert

Definitely possible. I have found some fantastic things in the paperwork with groups. I have 45 pounds of paperwork that came with the medal group of a Pearl Harbor survivor and decorated Iwo Jima veteran, and another group to a WWII and Korean War Marine with 8" of paperwork (my "brief" write-up on him has evolved into a 25 page word document!), and have found some amazing things in all that paper!

I would love to hear more about this statement from the guard, and hear more about it. Did he write it honestly, or hoping to avoid consequences for his actions as a guard? It sounds like this Marine had quite an interesting career, and I would love to hear more about it! I imagine it could be an extensive write-up based off all you have.

Brig, it sounds like you have some fantastic material as well - it is the documents and less frequently these days, interviews that bring this material to life.

The letter was actually a form letter, from the camp commandant to the POWs, and it was distributed to the men in the camp prior to their release. PFC Verga kept a copy; it reads as follows (includes original typos):

AN UNCEMENT

OFFICERS, N.C.O.s, & MEN:

By order of The High Command, I am going to release a wonder-

ful news to you.

That is we are on the verge of long awaited Peace and the belliger

gerent forces are now holding an Armistice Conference.

Consequently, in the very near future, you will be sent to the most

convenient Japanese port for the departure to your homes and loved ones.

On this occasion, we express our sesire to see you will arrive

at your hoves safely and in good health; to achieve this end the adminis-

trative staff is making every endeavor.

The Commandant desires that you, on your part, mindful of our sai

intention; be not hesitant to proffer you co-op ration to our efforts.

There are a few more words to tell to you; 1. The rations will

be very much improved in future, and drawing and preparation of them will

be carried out as up to now.

2. The Japanese Sentries will be on duty yet, vut safeguard you

from unforeseen mishaps which might result form contacts with out-side

people, and for the prevention of fires.

3. You are required not to go out-side of the fence.

4. As the War come to an end, so let it be with Enmity, if any

of you happens to hold a grudge against any particular man of the Staff

or Sentries, lets shake hands and forget the dark hours for the sake of

love and peace.

Lastly the Commandant, with a good grace, has prepared to drink

a toast to your health and happiness; Are you all going to accept his

invitation? Yes? Very well.

Congratulations to each of you

24th August, 1945

LIEUTENANT XXXX XXXXX

THE 2nd BRANCH CAMP

HAKODATE P.O.W. CAMP

According to PFC Verga's widow, it was difficult for him to "Forget the dark hours", probably due in part to the things he went through as a POW, some of which was recorded in his application for a Purple Heart to Headquarters Marine Corps (which was denied).

post-158761-0-62817600-1441831106.jpg

Very interesting material. That account definitely seems that the commandant was doing some politicking in possible anxiety of what would unfold with Japan losing and the prisoners going free.

The list of injuries is even more intriguing...and likely the only way his wounds would have ever been documented

It's great to see not only a fantastic group of militaria, but that it is in the hands of one who cares of the history behind the artifacts enough to research and share it here! This topic continues to prove very interesting

What a fantastic Wake Island POW group! The paperwork really adds to it. I would love to see full scans of the POW mail ( the covers). I also collect POW mail.

Kurt