Gen Lejeune's WW1 occupation made salver

This walked into the Dulles VA gun show a few months back. An extended relative of his brought it in looking to sell it. She told the dealer who bought it that it was made while he was in France or Germany. It appears to be made of brass base with copper lip and feet.

The engraving on this is beyond incredible. My photos don't do it justice. The detail is so minute... the mountain ranges on the continents the details of the feather... the campaigns are even engraved around the Indian Head flag.

One talon sports the flag of a two star general and the other the 2nd Div. Only one Marine fit that description.

The photo below gives an idea of size compared to the bell crown in the cabinet behind.

post-4618-0-25254100-1441328978.jpg

detail of the 2nd Div flag. My photography skills (and camera) can't do it justice but if you look closely you can make out the campaign names around the rays of the star inside the flag.

post-4618-0-17799900-1441329281.jpg

Close up of the eagle.

Look at the detailing in the feathers... True old world craftsmanship. I wonder how long this took to make.

post-4618-0-99045800-1441329334.jpg

Now there's a fantastic piece! The engraving is absolutely stunning. I saw a General's license plate on eBay attributed to Lejeune (no real provenance), but this is much, much nicer. I love these kinds of pieces attributable to personalities in the Corps...particularly to legends.

Thats amazing craftsmanship.....how big is that?.....mike

Hey Mike. Not sure the exact size but in the first photo you can see one of my bell crowns in the case behind which gives a rough idea of size.

Now that is an incredible find! You just don't see that kind of craftsmanship today and you would think that all of our technology would make it fast, simple, and cheap.

It is true that these kinds of collectibles do find their way to the right places. Great pick up!

Duke, really cool piece. I have never seen anything like it. Should have your wife serve you crumpets on it on the Marine Corps birthday coming up. Then again wouldn't want a dent in the circumference of your head in it. Again, I think this is a real special piece. Congratulations........again. You must have a key to the basement of the Marine Corps museum. Kevin

Stunning. Incredible workmanship. Was the person who bought it smart enough to get her name/contact information? It would be great to be able to get a signed letter to document the provenance and who knows, she might have more (or know where more is)

Stunning. Incredible workmanship. Was the person who bought it smart enough to get her name/contact information? It would be great to be able to get a signed letter to document the provenance and who knows, she might have more (or know where more is)

Hey Eric,

The "paul harvey rest of the story' goes like this... the female relative of Gen Lejeune walked into the Dulles Gun show with it. A dealer friend of mine saw the EGA on the platter as it passed him. He was about to ask her what it was when the dealer across the aisle beat him to it. My friend didn't think much of it but saw the other dealer buy it. He went over after to see what it was and the dealer (who is not a militaria guy but a old gun dealer) told him that some "Marine General named Lejeune" had it made in WW1 in France or Germany. This was according to the seller/relative.

My dealer friend asked if he knew who Lejeune was, to which he replied "no idea' but bought it for the SCRAP VALUE. My friend knowing I collect WW1 USMC items came and found me in the show and brought me over. By that time, the lady who bought it in had left, and the buyer got no contact information.

By the time I got to the table several of the USMC collectors were already there and the buyer now realized he had something special on this hands. He was then hesitant to sell it but I was finally able to secure it. But it cost me quite a bit. That said, I also figured, when will I see another?

Thanks to all for the nice comments... I often wonder if perhaps there were matching cups that were used to serve the drinks on it...

Ive halfway considered taking it to the USMC museum to see if they have any interest it.

Ive halfway considered taking it to the USMC museum to see if they have any interest it.

If anything, I'd wait until the museum is done with their construction project and enjoy it in your collection until then, as they have many items in limbo in storage,

I think I would rather burn something that ever let a museum have it but that's my opinion.

Well, I know that better than most. I was the Cpl of the Guard for the USMC Air-Ground Museum in 1994. I can tell you some stories that will turn your stomach...

I guess I was thinking that because it was Lejeunes it might be better on display. But you're probably right.

I think I would rather burn something that ever let a museum have it but that's my opinion.

From what I've gathered, the Marine Corps Museum's storage facility is quite responsible with the materials it utilizes, and the temperature and humidity control measures they've emplaced while they finish their construction endeavors. In their case, I think they might be better than your average museum