This walked into the Dulles VA gun show a few months back. An extended relative of his brought it in looking to sell it. She told the dealer who bought it that it was made while he was in France or Germany. It appears to be made of brass base with copper lip and feet.

The engraving on this is beyond incredible. My photos don't do it justice. The detail is so minute... the mountain ranges on the continents the details of the feather... the campaigns are even engraved around the Indian Head flag.

One talon sports the flag of a two star general and the other the 2nd Div. Only one Marine fit that description.

The photo below gives an idea of size compared to the bell crown in the cabinet behind.

post-4618-0-25254100-1441328978.jpg

Close up of general flag...

Look at the fine detail on the flag.

The rays inside the generals stars....

post-4618-0-34951800-1441329168.jpg

detail of the 2nd Div flag. My photography skills (and camera) can't do it justice but if you look closely you can make out the campaign names around the rays of the star inside the flag.

post-4618-0-17799900-1441329281.jpg

Close up of the eagle.

Look at the detailing in the feathers... True old world craftsmanship. I wonder how long this took to make.

post-4618-0-99045800-1441329334.jpg

The reverse with the ball feet, I believe these are made of copper.

post-4618-0-28713800-1441329381.jpg

Thats amazing craftsmanship.....how big is that?.....mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

Now there's a fantastic piece! The engraving is absolutely stunning. I saw a General's license plate on eBay attributed to Lejeune (no real provenance), but this is much, much nicer. I love these kinds of pieces attributable to personalities in the Corps...particularly to legends.

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thats amazing craftsmanship.....how big is that?.....mike

Hey Mike. Not sure the exact size but in the first photo you can see one of my bell crowns in the case behind which gives a rough idea of size.

Incredible find Duke! As others have said the engraving is exquisite...

VFG

***Items from unit called 8th Field Depot***

[Most frequently-sought unit because of family connection]

Intact ["out of the woodwork"] Marine Corps combat groups from WWII.

Unique items signed by many Marines from one unit, or inscribed with combat history.

Marine Corps valor recipient items.

Souvenirs taken by Marines with exceptional background and/or unique stories/documentation.

Marine Ship Detachment items from major naval engagements and those that warrant stars to ETO ribbon.

Now that is an incredible find! You just don't see that kind of craftsmanship today and you would think that all of our technology would make it fast, simple, and cheap.

It is true that these kinds of collectibles do find their way to the right places. Great pick up!

Tom K
USMC (VMFA-115) 90 - 96
ASMIC Member
OVMS member (ready for my 16th SOS in 2019)

donation2016.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

Duke, really cool piece. I have never seen anything like it. Should have your wife serve you crumpets on it on the Marine Corps birthday coming up. Then again wouldn't want a dent in the circumference of your head in it. Again, I think this is a real special piece. Congratulations........again. You must have a key to the basement of the Marine Corps museum. Kevin

I am eagerly collecting Pre-WWII USMC material. Any Marine Corps Span Am era, WWI, Banana Wars, or China Marine related material is especially sought after.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2019.gif

BRILLIANT Duke. Congrats on a super one-of-kind piece. Semper Fi.......Bob

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

Stunning. Incredible workmanship. Was the person who bought it smart enough to get her name/contact information? It would be great to be able to get a signed letter to document the provenance and who knows, she might have more (or know where more is)

Stunning. Incredible workmanship. Was the person who bought it smart enough to get her name/contact information? It would be great to be able to get a signed letter to document the provenance and who knows, she might have more (or know where more is)

Hey Eric,

The "paul harvey rest of the story' goes like this... the female relative of Gen Lejeune walked into the Dulles Gun show with it. A dealer friend of mine saw the EGA on the platter as it passed him. He was about to ask her what it was when the dealer across the aisle beat him to it. My friend didn't think much of it but saw the other dealer buy it. He went over after to see what it was and the dealer (who is not a militaria guy but a old gun dealer) told him that some "Marine General named Lejeune" had it made in WW1 in France or Germany. This was according to the seller/relative.

My dealer friend asked if he knew who Lejeune was, to which he replied "no idea' but bought it for the SCRAP VALUE. My friend knowing I collect WW1 USMC items came and found me in the show and brought me over. By that time, the lady who bought it in had left, and the buyer got no contact information.

By the time I got to the table several of the USMC collectors were already there and the buyer now realized he had something special on this hands. He was then hesitant to sell it but I was finally able to secure it. But it cost me quite a bit. That said, I also figured, when will I see another?

Thanks to all for the nice comments... I often wonder if perhaps there were matching cups that were used to serve the drinks on it...

Ive halfway considered taking it to the USMC museum to see if they have any interest it.

Ive halfway considered taking it to the USMC museum to see if they have any interest it.

If anything, I'd wait until the museum is done with their construction project and enjoy it in your collection until then, as they have many items in limbo in storage,

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

I think I would rather burn something that ever let a museum have it but that's my opinion.

I think I would rather burn something that ever let a museum have it but that's my opinion.

Well, I know that better than most. I was the Cpl of the Guard for the USMC Air-Ground Museum in 1994. I can tell you some stories that will turn your stomach...

I guess I was thinking that because it was Lejeunes it might be better on display. But you're probably right.

From what I've gathered, the Marine Corps Museum's storage facility is quite responsible with the materials it utilizes, and the temperature and humidity control measures they've emplaced while they finish their construction endeavors. In their case, I think they might be better than your average museum

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Duke,

The engraving is absolutely beautiful. A really amazing and historic item...congratulations and thanks for sharing the images!

Mike