10th SFG Trojan Horse Beret Badge. Has anyone seen one like this?

Eric Queen

Found it !!!

Take a look at posts 21/22. The same exact badge. If Ed obtained this directly from SGM Joseph and he was in the 10th at that time, I would say this clearly illustrates that this is a German made period badge. Still do not know if Eichmann produced or outsourced.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/242057-sgm-stephen-joseph-ccc-macv-sog-rvn-sog-knife-beret-sfsog-grouping/

Here is what I believe to be the 10th SF Grp beret badge sold by Fox Military which I don't own but held in my hand a long time ago. One of the distinct differences I remembered was the dished out or hollowing of the metal on the back of the badge which all the others did not have until this one was pictured on the forum. When I saw this badge with the hollowing on the back coupled with the large catch it looked like the one sold by Fox Military. I was wrong.

post-1389-0-55621700-1441414910.jpg

post-1389-0-54437600-1441414918.jpg

Dennis, thanks for the follow up images. Very helpful. Similar but certainly not the same badge. I have learned a lot from this thread already. Next is to find out who made it.

• 4 years later...
Austin_Militaria

Eric, Picked up one this weekend identical to yours. This one belonging to the 10 SF Group Chaplain, Colonel Ammerman. He was with the 10th Group from June 1960 - May 1963. He later served in Vietnam with the 3rd Group. It is not magnetic, it seems to me to be .800 or less in silver.

post-2578-0-46009500-1579538774.jpg

Very nice badge. I came to learn that this is a pocket badge from the 60's (not a beret badge from the 50's). These badges (from the 60's) were actual awards and came with a document. Can only assume that these were made by Eichmann as well.

Eric, Picked up one this weekend identical to yours. This one belonging to the 10 SF Group Chaplain, Colonel Ammerman. He was with the 10th Group from June 1960 - May 1963. He later served in Vietnam with the 3rd Group. It is not magnetic, it seems to me to be .800 or less in silver.

He went by Jim Ammerman. Nice little grouping.