LST 325 visiting Pittsburgh PA for tours.

M24 Chaffee

We just took a nice tour of this ship. I believe it's in Pittsburgh until Sept. 8th. It sailed the Ohio River from Indiana. Here's the website with more info. If you live in the area or are visiting you may enjoy this. It's docked near Heinz Field. I'll include a few photos.

http://www.lstmemorial.org

post-2899-0-70477600-1441218693.jpg

post-2899-0-23135700-1441218778.jpg

I have seen it twice and enjoyed it both times (although the sun sure can make it warm inside). If you get a chance to see it, I would recommend it. So many landings would have been a logistical nightmare without the LST.

Not to mention the 325 was at Normandy in June 1944.

RC

I believe they came up the Mississippi River a few years ago too, as far as Burlington, Iowa maybe?

I think it's fantastic that they do that. The ship has a great history and story about how it came back to the USA too.

Thanks for posting about it!

I am wondering if this is the same LST that came up the Missouri to Omaha about 15 years ago. Believe it or not, we actually have a Naval Museum. It's still in recovery mode after having been flooded out a couple of years ago. But it was also formerly from the Greek Navy, which explains the lettering over the ramp doors in the photo.

At the time they were still doing a lot of restoration work, and the deck did not have all of this cool stuff on it. As a matter of fact, I don't recall the cargo area being fully covered as this one looks to be.

I will have to dig out my photos. I think at the time there was some talk of home porting it here. Fortunately, given the flooding that we had, that did not occur.

Gil,

I think there was another vessel (a WWII LSM?) that was going to be restored, but never made it. That *might* be the one you are thinking of..or I could be wrong.

RC

I am wondering if this is the same LST that came up the Missouri to Omaha about 15 years ago. Believe it or not, we actually have a Naval Museum. It's still in recovery mode after having been flooded out a couple of years ago. But it was also formerly from the Greek Navy, which explains the lettering over the ramp doors in the photo.

At the time they were still doing a lot of restoration work, and the deck did not have all of this cool stuff on it. As a matter of fact, I don't recall the cargo area being fully covered as this one looks to be.

I will have to dig out my photos. I think at the time there was some talk of home porting it here. Fortunately, given the flooding that we had, that did not occur.

I bet it was this same LST. I don't think any others regularly operate like this done, at least not in the interior of the USA.

The one in Muskegeon, Michigan had I think been a Lake Michigan used ferry of some sort, but had never made it off the lake in later years.

The 325 I think ended up in Indiana as if I recall correctly, a shipyard in Evansville built them during the war.