Bomber Jacket Preservation

Blaine Anthony

Blaine Anthony

Hello, I have this amazing painted bomber jacket but the leather is hard in spots and flakey in others. Is there anything i can use lightly to treat this leather and not affect my paint?! Please help me

post-159641-0-85950000-1440910755.jpg

post-159641-0-73694700-1440910769.jpg

strawberry 9

My guess is that you wouldn't want to put anything on it. I'm sure others will chime in. I would suggest displaying it flat or storing it flat in an archival box. It's a beauty!

Not to get too picky, but using the term "bomber jacket" is like fingernails on a chalkboard to "flight jacket" enthusiasts. Cargo, fighter and spotter pilots wore them too, not just bomber pilots.

Sorry for the rant.

There are numerous threads on this topic. IMO, you should NEVER apply any sort of preservative to leather, period end of story. None of these products will actually "restore" or "preserve" the jacket. It is what it is at this point and should be left alone. Store it properly, and you will be fine....

I agree with what the others are saying. You should never apply any preservatives you will be doing more harm than good. What should be done instead is preventative care, such as keeping it in a climate controlled environment and storing it flat in a good archival box. It's a beautiful jacket and with the right care and storage it can be preserved for later generations to appreciate.