1943 Seat Type Parachute AN-6510

dmert66

Wife and I were kicking around last Sunday and I came across this box. After checking it low and behold a 1943 dated parachute. This isn't my area of expertise, so I let it go. After some research and discussion with a fellow forum member, I decided to go see if it was still there today. Luckily it was and I brought it home.

post-12077-0-13354800-1440801223.jpg

Great piece.Looks pretty clean.

Maybe one of the forum parachute authorities will check it out for you.

Looks like the lines have been cut.Pretty common way to demill it so it couldnt be used.The seat pack survival kit is gone.They are not to hard to find.The D ring rip cord handles are also out there.

WWII Parachutist

Nice chute! The pack and harness are solid, but the canopy looks to either be of postwar manufacture or modified postwar with pocket bands (1948 onwards). From the look of it I'd lean towards circa late 50's early 60's. If you unroll the canopy, the nomenclature panel with the date will be located between panels 1 & 24 (numbers stamped on the edge of the canopy by the suspension lines)

The ripcord should be relatively easy to locate.

I haven't unrolled the chute yet. I'll give it a look over after work tonight and see what I can find.

Nice chute! The pack and harness are solid, but the canopy looks to either be of postwar manufacture or modified postwar with pocket bands (1948 onwards). From the look of it I'd lean towards circa late 50's early 60's. If you unroll the canopy, the nomenclature panel with the date will be located between panels 1 & 24 (numbers stamped on the edge of the canopy by the suspension lines)

You know your stuff and called it about dead on. Thanks for the info. I'm going to attempt packing this myself for display purposes. My plan is to do a mannequin display of my uncle who was a p51 pilot with the checkertail clan. This will go great.

post-12077-0-68162800-1440888097.jpg

WWII Parachutist

You know your stuff and called it about dead on. Thanks for the info. I'm going to attempt packing this myself for display purposes. My plan is to do a mannequin display of my uncle who was a p51 pilot with the checkertail clan. This will go great.

Glad to know I was pretty close. If you do pack it, I would suggest removing the A-3 pilot chute attached to the canopy apex, as this presents a noticeable bulge in the pack that wouldn't have been there on the original.