USN Medal Group - USS Texas BB-35 D-Day

kai robert

Just got this small group, named to Joseph G Najam.

Didn´t have much info of him when I bought the group but I found him in 4 navy muster rolls 1943-46.

In 1943-44 is he listed on the battleship USS Texas (BB 35) who was the bombardment force flagship for Omaha Beach. She fired at Pointe du Hoc and Exit D-1 to support 5th rangers and 29th infantry.

There is more info in the muster rolls, i just need a Ancestry accout valid for US. (just have account for Sweden today). Hm, I better get that account, want to know more, like if he was on the ship during D-Day and what kind of duty he had.

The dog tag is probably post war, USNR.

post-9415-0-16908100-1440766969.jpg

Hello,

Joseph George Najam is listed on the BB35 USS Texas Muster Rolls in March and June 1944, as a Seaman 1/c.

I have a limited access to ancestry being on my phone but I guess it confirms he was off the coast of Normandy on June 6th, 1944 ;)

Hope this helps, E

Hello,

Joseph George Najam is listed on the BB35 USS Texas Muster Rolls in March and June 1944, as a Seaman 1/c.

I have a limited access to ancestry being on my phone but I guess it confirms he was off the coast of Normandy on June 6th, 1944 ;)

Hope this helps, E

Great, thanks a lot. This really helps. :)

These are the muster dates I found.

1943-44 Battleship USS Texas (BB 35) muster date 31/7-43, 30/11-44.

1945 Destroyer USS McCaffery (DD 860) muster date 26/7-45.

1946 Destroyer USS Rinehart (DE 196) muster date 18/2-46.

His service nr. was 807 54 32, is it possible to find out when he enlisted by that nr.?

Or maybe that can be found in the muster lists.

Great, thanks a lot. This really helps. :)

These are the muster dates I found.

1943-44 Battleship USS Texas (BB 35) muster date 31/7-43, 30/11-44.

1945 Destroyer USS McCaffery (DD 860) muster date 26/7-45.

1946 Destroyer USS Rinehart (DE 196) muster date 18/2-46.

His service nr. was 807 54 32, is it possible to find out when he enlisted by that nr.?

Or maybe that can be found in the muster lists.

You can find his enlistment date on the Muster Rolls ... I'll check that when i'll be home.

E

So he enlisted in Newhaven, Connecticut, the 28th of April, 1943. He was promoted from S2/c to S1/c on December 1, 1943.

Seems that he was discharged on February 1946.

E

So he enlisted in Newhaven, Connecticut, the 28th of April, 1943. He was promoted from S2/c to S1/c on December 1, 1943.

Seems that he was discharged on February 1946.

E

Thanks again E, I really appreciate our help.

This group was more interesting than I ever could imagine and is sure a keeper for me. He was most likely on a ship that protected the men on Omaha Beach and that fits well into my collection. I have a D-Day vet uniform, 1st infantry, 18th reg.

Thanks again E, I really appreciate our help.

This group was more interesting than I ever could imagine and is sure a keeper for me. He was most likely on a ship that protected the men on Omaha Beach and that fits well into my collection. I have a D-Day vet uniform, 1st infantry, 18th reg.

You're welcome ;)