Determining Era of Navy Dolphins

Hi Guys

Was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of the time frame of production. The clutchs I believe have been replaced over time .Thanks Jay

post-564-0-00451900-1440733613.jpg

Hi Jay,

In the absence of a single-letter/single digit maker code, it could be earlier than mentioned and pre-1960. As already mentioned though, it's silver for an EM so it's definitely 1951 or later.

Regards

Mike

• 5 months later...

Jay,

Apologies for the lateness of my input here but I was looking through past threads and got looking at this one a bit closer. If you still have the piece, can you check the reverse for a possible additional hallmark?

This one appears to be an earlier enlisted set by Hilborn Hamburger and may have the H-H Eagle on the opposite side. I also see what appears in the photo, some lettering, though it may be just the way the light is hitting the surface. I've circled the area in red and point to two areas I am looking at (slightly highlighted in yellow).

Tim

post-50776-0-69355600-1454440026.jpg

Here's another set, though I think it's a bit later production compared to your example, based on the reverse die. Compare the details and I think you'll agree. Note the sterling mark is opposite of yours and the H-H eagle is on the left, though its a pretty weak stamping.

post-50776-0-84212200-1454440366.jpg

Here's a close up and you can see it better. I think your example also carries the eagle, though it may be a smaller, earlier version of the hallmark.

Tim

post-50776-0-88134000-1454440504.jpg

Why not WW2, please explain.

Are you messing with me or, you really don't know that answer? :huh:

Enlisted personnel wore a silk embroidered style insignia (a sew-on patch) on the sleeve of their uniform showing qualification in submarines during WW2. This patch moved to the left breast in 1947 and a change to the Naval Uniform Regulations, dated 21 September 1950, authorized (for the first time) a silver plated, pin-on insignia (of the same design as the officer pattern) for enlisted personnel.

There were other points of that 1950 change but basically, any silver submarine set of dolphins for enlisted personnel were made post September 1950.

Hi Tim

Thanks for the additional info.I looked thru a loop and cant tell 100% if there is the hallmark or not or just wish full thinking,but I have added a couple more photos. Jay

post-564-0-09425400-1454631409.jpg

Are you messing with me or, you really don't know that answer? :huh:

Enlisted personnel wore a silk embroidered style insignia (a sew-on patch) on the sleeve of their uniform showing qualification in submarines during WW2. This patch moved to the left breast in 1947 and a change to the Naval Uniform Regulations, dated 21 September 1950, authorized (for the first time) a silver plated, pin-on insignia (of the same design as the officer pattern) for enlisted personnel.

There were other points of that 1950 change but basically, any silver submarine set of dolphins for enlisted personnel were made post September 1950.

I actually did forget, Duh! :wacko:. But it's nice to elaborate on an answer. But there are people that don't know about the cloth dolphins.But I should have added post-WW2. So I wasn't to far off.

Hi Jay,

I guess there is nothing there after all, just a play of the lighting and shadows. That's the problem with photographing these small items sometimes. I do see the notch in the post you show, which does date you badge a bit later, but I don't remember exactly when they started putting that little notch in the upper portion of the post to better secure the brass clutch fasteners.

Hey, I tried man!! ;)