WWII Japanese pilot oxygen mask ...

cepilot

I own 2 ea. , IJA pilot helmets , one rabbit fur interior and one canvas/leather , both in excellent display condition , but wouldn't a oxygen mask be a great add-on to them .. But I've never seen one for sale , and even finding a picture of one is hard ... the only one I can come up with is the one displayed in the USAF museum ... So my question is .. Do any of you collectors have one ? .. or much less know of any for sale ?, .... I heard that the reason they are scarce is that most of the Japanese , just placed and bit onto a rubber feed tube placed into their mouths and sucked oxygen that way , instead of a clap over your face, actual mask and as most of the aircraft didn't have oxygen feed regulator , just a needle valve for continues flow metering .... here's the picture of the mask displayed in the USAF museum ...

northcoastaero

Three books come to mind. Can find them on ebay.com .:

-Japanese Naval Aviation Uniforms and Equipment 1937-45 by Gary Nila Osprey Publishing Elite 86. IJN but mentions some IJA.

-Vintage Flying Helmets by Mick J. Prodger Schiffer Publishing. May have some info.

-IJN Aviator Uniforms and Equipment by Model Art. Japanese text.

They are rare partly because the rubber from which they were made is unstable. I've seen a few pop up for sale over the past 20 years, but in my opinion they aren't worth the money, because they will disintegrate unless they are stored in ideal conditions.

Sorry, this is outside the focus of the US Militaria Forum.

Members may continue the discussion off line through Private Messaging.