Couple of Springfields

gunn308

Title:

1903 Springfields

Description:

2-1903 springfields USMC 1-serial# 476525 SA barrel date7-11 with grooved trigger 1-serial# 638092 SA barrel date 2-17 with smooth trigger note- serial# could be 658092 it is under scope base, scope is J. STEVENS scope base is stamped FZB even have stamp that was used looks hand made 1- model 1875 USMC officers sabre with ivory bolsters, blade engraved all items in wooden case w/USMC brass padlock ,case is marked outside; F.Z. BECKER Captain USMC inside; QMSGT Jordan Oct. 27, 18

Condition:

rifles & sabre all original in excellent condition case has normal wear

Origin:

I inherited these from my great uncle Capt. Frank Z. Becker whom I am told was a range officer , and I am told he shot competively for the Marine Corps I am also told that these rifles may have been presented to him by the Springfield Armory and used in competition this I can't verify.

I do know he was stationed at the Brooklyn Naval Shipyard for awhile because my grandfather lived with him then.

I cannot find uncle Franks military records.

Will post more pics later.

post-129374-0-00300900-1439125621.jpg

Quote from SFCMac

Gunn308

I took the liberty of looking at the USMC muster rolls on ancestry.com for Frank Z. Becker. He had quite an interesting career. I didn't look at every entry, but did find the following:

1. He enlisted on 26 Oct 1899 at the Marine Barracks, Washington, DC

2. In Mar 1901 he was with Company D, 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marines, at Cavite, Philippines Island.

3. Jun 1910 He was a Gunnery Sgt. at the Marine Corps Rifle Range, Winthrop, Maryland.

4. 3 Apr 1917 he was made a Warrant Marine Gunner (Warrant Officer); 5 Apr he took the oath for Marine Gunner and reported to Marine Barracks, Portsmouth, NH; 15 Apr he went to the rifle range at Winthrop, Maryland.

It doesn't appear that he served in France during WWI but during this time he made 2LT, 1LT and Captain. More than one time during his career he was assigned to rifle ranges.

The last entry was for 1-30 Sep 1926 while he was assigned to Headquarters, Western Recruiting Division, San Fransisco, CA

1-5 Sep 1926 - sick US Army Fitzsimmons General Hospital, Denver, CO. Article 554 Navy Regulation does not apply. 6 Sep 1926 - died at 8:45 AM from chronic tuberculosis. Death was in line of duty, Article 554 Navy Regulation does not apply. Remains shipped by express to Washington DC on 12 Sep 1926 for internment in Arlington National Cemetery.

I don't know was Article 554 Navy Regulation is about. There are about 285 entries on the muster rolls for this Marine.

Hope this helps.

sfcmac

Here is some more info on these weapons:

Both barrels are marked SA then the BOMB then the date and there is an H on the bayonet stud. Both have checkered butt plates with doors for cleaning kits.

The scoped one has stamped in the stock behind the trigger guard, 1/8"tall numbers, the # 76, inside the stock the # 88, and inside the magazine it looks like the # 7 not sure about that one. With the stock removed the barrel is marked pJ50, the reciever is markedKCX and 78 6,and the barrel next to reciever has what looks like a backwards 3. The bolt has the # 2 stamped on it & the bolt lug has the # 15. The rear sight has a HESSIAN nickle sight cover, the scope is J. STEVENS ARMS & TOOL Co. CHICOPEE FALLS. MASS. U.S.A. Pat Pndg No. but there is no number , the only # on the scope is 8 and that is on the top front. Scope is 15 5/16" X 3/4". Got a 12 pt 225 lb white tail with it when I was 14 then found out from Bill Morrison that the first 800,000 wern't safe to shoot.

The unscoped one has 90 behind the trigger guard& the bolt relief has the letter E stamped in it & the magazine is marked 5p there again it is hard to tell. Inside the handguard the barrel is stamped 15R & next to the reciever is B25, the reciever is marked in various spots with 3, A, V, U, 1 & C with a tail like Q .

Attached Images
  • post-129374-0-29019800-1439339738.jpg
  • post-129374-0-23375200-1439339782.jpg

Does any body know if I can get in trouble for having real ivory? Hope not. Thanks for all the compliments and info. I know some of you hardcorp Marines are having a hard time with the unpolished brass my father who landed on Iwo on the 3rd day has left hints in the form of new cans of Brasso.

Jerry

Attached Images
  • post-129374-0-14371000-1439385193.jpg

Here's a medal my father says belonged to uncle Frank

Sorry for quality took this with phone my camera needs batteries

Attached Images
  • post-129374-0-70750500-1439770026.jpg

This could be uncle Franks pocket watch or it could be my grandfathers my father couldn't say for sure but it most likely is my uncles as my grandfather was an enlisted aide to uncle Frank. According to Walthams serial # it was made in 1913

Attached Images
  • post-129374-0-71194300-1439772990.jpg

Talked with dad today he said Uncle Frank was given guns to try out and test for Springfield and the Corps. These Springfields could be prototypes I will have to look at the lands and grooves IIFRC there were some 8 groove barrels made but I don't have the resources to find the production dates. Any help out there?

Quote fromUSMC A5 Sniper rifle:

I doubt they gave rifles to individual enlisted men to test, as Springfield's testing schemes were well organized and involved multiple shooters. Don't worry about prototypes, as those rifles are not prototypes. Those rifles were ordered by the Corps and modified by WRA for special purpose use (I am surprised the unscoped rifle has no scope, which technically eliminates it as part of the first group - it is just a sales rifle). Both rifles came from WRA's stockpile of sales rifles.

Your uncle was issued the scoped rifle either at Guantanamo or OSD, and since he was at both locations at the right time, he could have gotten it at either place. It appears he may have taken the course and traveled to France, probably to assist in starting up a sniper school in France. If that is true, he had darned little time to do so, since the trip was almost two weeks one way. It is possible, and probable, he may have gotten the rifle after the war as a target rifle. Who knows. I suggest you get a copy of his military records (cost - $60), which may shed some light on the situation.

Good luck.