Helmet Restore VM0-2

TLeo

I have had a project going for a couple months now and thought I would share it for the modern flight helmet guys here. I picked up this very well used shell that was totally stripped and edge roll in tatters. it was so dirty that the blue Pegasus on the back appeared black so I did clean it with some home degreaser with decent results. I then bought the mask receivers, chin and nape straps and put them on.

Next I sent the helmet off to flighthelmet.com to get a new edge roll and liner put on so I could continue the project. I purchased the visor assembly and before putting it on, I had the idea it would be best to have the liner installed prior to the visor assembly so I got the folks at flighthelmet.com to install it for me as well.

Well she arrived today looking more like a flight helmet so I proceeded to tape the visor with white tape and then the squadron designation and design I took from a photo of one of their crew. I have the earphones and cups to install next along with the wiring I have on the way. I also have to get the boom mic mount to go with the mic I have standing by. All in all, I think it will turn out nice but here are some before and after shots......

post-5081-0-38713400-1440617164.jpg

post-5081-0-68315400-1440617181.jpg

I'm tempted to take it out and drag it around in the dirt and pavement to make the new tape match the old original :D (not really)

post-5081-0-11870900-1440617432.jpg

post-5081-0-35577200-1440617454.jpg

northcoastaero

Nice helmet restoration project! The PRK-37/P shell assembly in the HGU-45/P or HGU-45A/P configuration. The OV-10A Bronco used

the HGU-45/P with a dark outer and clear inner MBU-12/P mask nose cutout. The OV-10D used the HGU-45A/P with the EEK-3/P light

green and clear laser protective visor with the MBU-12/P nose cutout. Helmet is probably from the mid 1980s. If there are Velcro

tabs for the later Velcro-on woodland camouflage cover, the helmet could even be from the early 1990s The book Marine Air by

John Trotti and George Hall has pictures of the VMO-2 helmets with all green MBU-17(v)-1/P (MBU-12/P variant) oxygen masks.

Some parts you may need:

-One piece black leather V-Tec form fit liner.

-Black ear cups with Velcro square on the back-no holes on the top or bottom for parachute cord.

-Black ear cup foam without front hole.

-H-87B/U earphones with silver front and tapered back.

-Gentex or Scott black vinyl ear seals with bump on bottom.

-Gentex (lower case) or SCOTT oxygen mask receiver data plates.

-CX-4708A/AIC earphone cable with red release dot on plug.

-CX-13155/A Y type cable for aircraft connection. Straight not coiled. Cloth covered or rubber covered.

-AM-3597C/A rectangular helmet mounted amplifier with black plastic bracket. Possible aluminum bracket also.

-Short communications cable, cloth covered, CX-4434/A.

-Black M-87/AIC microphone element with short black ball and socket type boom.

-Possibly need--EEK-3/P light green laser protective visor and clear (outer?) visor. Try aviationhelmets.com or

flighthelmet.com .

MBU-17(v)1/P oxygen mask:

-Green face piece, hose, and straps.

-Shiny (not dull) offset bayonets.

-AM-7067/A amplifier.

-M-94B/A microphone element.

-CX-13154/A straight cable.

-MC-3A hose end connector.

Thanks for that list. I have the proper cord and ear cups/ear phones on the way. I will have to look for that helmet mounted amp and clip though. I think flighthelmet has the straight cord for that connection between the amp and mic. and I have the m87 mic on hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic job there, I have to say re-taping a helmet is a real pain to make it look right........ you have got it spot on there. Just wish I could find old helmets like that this side of the pond!!

Fantastic job there, I have to say re-taping a helmet is a real pain to make it look right........ you have got it spot on there. Just wish I could find old helmets like that this side of the pond!!

Thanks. I'm just glad all I had to tape was the visor and finding some stencils and a sharp modeling knife really helped with the letters.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I want a VMO helmet! I kick myself for not getting the ones I saw in the past. Id love to find a VMO-1 helmet but the 2s have cool designs. Recent interest in OV-10s has me into the Marine flight gear now.