Post The Pre War 1920s-30s Unit Crest Being Worn

patches

A young 30s private soldier gives a snappy hand salute for the camera eye.

Date unknown and regrettably can't make out his DIs as we see, and he's wearing no shoulder patch, but he must be in either a Cavalry unit of the NG or Reserves, as he's wearing breeches and the cavalry boots, maybe he's a motor vehicle driver in some unknown unit other then cavalry???

12102.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A snapshot of 5 Soldiers of Battery C, 241st Coast Artillery with unit marked 1903 Springfield rifles, taken in the mid-1920s by Hemler, Fort H.G. Wright, NY.

Closeup shows them wearing their DIs on the standing collar next to gilt collar disks.

img007.jpg.e3698346005259def3506c6655ec9af7.jpg

img009.jpg.ac9b9c35f0884f14a03052ba8a57a20b.jpg

• 1 month later...
eaglerunner88

I know this is slightly off topic but in many of these photos you see the enlisted "white dress shirt" being worn with the class A uniform. Was there an army spec/contract for this shirt or was it civilian? Does anybody have an example in their collection for reference?  Many thanks

11 hours ago, eaglerunner88 said:

I know this is slightly off topic but in many of these photos you see the enlisted "white dress shirt" being worn with the class A uniform. Was there an army spec/contract for this shirt or was it civilian? Does anybody have an example in their collection for reference?  Many thanks

Interesting question. You got us wondering now too, was the White Shirt a Issue one or Private Purchase, this of course would pertain only to the Men as Officers bought their own stuff as a matter of course.

• 3 weeks later...
postmanusnac

This is my great uncle circa mid 1930s. He was in Co. G, 151st Inf, 38th Division of the Indiana National Guard.

He left the NG sometime in the late 30’s and became a teacher.

One of his older brothers was also in the 151st.

5a07eccb8608c06648bac4bf4792b821.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

21st Infantry Brigade, KIAIMAU, Hawaiian Division - Schofield Barracks, T.H.  (19th & 21st Inf. Regts.)

21st Infantry Brigade 001.jpg

21st Infantry Brigade Chaplain - Major John Henry August Borleis circa 1940

21st Infantry Brigade Chaplain 1941 Major Borleis 001.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2021 at 8:03 PM, patches said:

The Colonel of the 318th Infantry 80th Division in the 1930s, name not known at this time.

tik08.jpgdex.jpg.566180f55d273c45c01a006f3556d828.jpg

Might be either  Edward E. Goodwyn or Junius E. Dunford.

Here'a a Wiki on Goodwyn, makes no mention of the regiment, even stated he was promoted a Brigadier General in the VA Militia, in 1934, could he have been the regiment's commander as a Colonel of the Reserves while holding a Commission as Brigadier General in the Militia at the same time???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_E._Goodwyn

• 2 months later...

A Nicolas Grinaldo of the 105th Infantry, 27th Division  in 1940 before the division was federalized, he remains with the division, and sees action in it, Saipan, and presumably Okinawa.

grinaldo4.jpg

eaglerunner88

Great phot patches! I have a question. I'm putting together an interwar M1926 class A circa 1935 to represent a 168th Infantry soldier. Would it be appropriate to have the DUIs along with a 34th Div SSI while it was a guard unit prior to the division being federalized? 

Just now, eaglerunner88 said:

Great phot patches! I have a question. I'm putting together an interwar M1926 class A circa 1935 to represent a 168th Infantry soldier. Would it be appropriate to have the DUIs along with a 34th Div SSI while it was a guard unit prior to the division being federalized? 

Yes it will be fine, as you see in this topic alone of National Guardsmen and Reservists in the 20s and 30s, it was the duly authorized insignia,

• 3 weeks later...

One Pvt William A. Morris Jr. 369th Infantry 1939, soon to be Coast Artillery (Antiaircraft) Regiment.

William A. Morris Jr..jpeg

13 hours ago, patches said:

One Pvt William A. Morris Jr. 369th Infantry 1939, soon to be Coast Artillery (Antiaircraft) Regiment.

William A. Morris Jr..jpeg

Here he is again in the war, still with the 369th.

t134517-orig_orig.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

And the 11th U.S. Cavalry Unit Crests being worn in a 1929 movie, a silent movie, released in early 1930 called Troopers Three, the 11th Cav stationed at the  Presidio of Monterey California. lent support for the film, in fact that First Shirt I think is a real Soldier, a man of the 11th Cav thrown in as an extra..

troopers three 11th cav di.PNG

ttroopers_three_11th_cav_di.jpgscrew.jpg.5d2eb73103fc0a640de3d2e677ee619a.jpg

• 1 month later...
Buffalo Grunt

A friend of mine asked about the DUI that was being worn in this picture .. it took me a while to find, but a great pre WWII photo of a soldier of the 38th Division (National Guard).  In my research I also found that these DUIs were made in different colors (depending on your MOS) I found a couple examples on EBay ... The soldier in the picture is wearing infantry insignia, but the DUI looks to be different colors?  (like the Military Police DUI)

271446487_957083115186934_3850789412893645950_n.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Need an ID on this 1820s-30s Engineer DI.

He is Alden K. Sibley a Shavetail, West Point 1933.

Here's his BIO, makes no mention of his first unit after graduation, but as you'll see he was a one time Aide to FDR, a Staff Officer in WWII and rose to Major General, retiring in 1968.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/58556444/alden-kingsland-sibley

general sibley.jpg

7 hours ago, tredhed2 said:

Look more like West Point Cadet DIs. Found nothing engineer resembling what he is wearing.

You may be right, the color are always a difficulty with these West Point DIs, like is it a Yellow one that's playing the old photo voodoo making it dark, or truly a Black one. Good guess he just graduated and poses in his new ODs with his confirmed Branch Of Service Insignia just before starting his Officer Branch Basic.

2 hours ago, patches said:

You may be right, the color are always a difficulty with these West Point DIs, like is it a Yellow one that's playing the old photo voodoo making it dark, or truly a Black one. Good guess he just graduated and poses in his new ODs with his confirmed Branch Of Service Insignia just before starting his Officer Branch Basic.

Looks like the blue one to me

Charles Fullington Thompson at Fort Benning in the 30s wearing the FOLLOW ME DI, Though never in Combat, Thompson served in a wide variety of Troop and Staff slots his whole career, retires a Major General.

Charles_Fullington_Thompson_(US_Army_major_general).jpg

• 3 weeks later...