* Car Tag Plates - Saving Metal WWII *

General Apathy

My brothers, sister and I were sifting through the "old homestead" and came across a pair of my grandparents license plates from the war years. My brother got one and I got the other. I thought these were made from some sort of fiber board but I like the soybean story better!

Kim

Thanks for adding this one, Kim. It's a very nice 'soybean' plate ^_^

Rene

• 2 months later...
General Apathy

Just re-discovered another airfield vehicle plate . . . . . .

looking through a few things today I re-discovered this plate for Coffeyville Army Air Field. It was one of eleven in Kansas during WWII and a training airfield, more to be seen on Wikipedia if you google it.

lewis.

.post-344-0-20101500-1545257556_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Very nice piece to re-discover. Can you tell if the text was painted or some form of heat transfer?

Hi Rusty, difficult to be precise how the plate was made up, It does appear to be some form of heated print-ink application, I would also guess that the plates were made up without the numbers, and these appear to be added later and not as neatly as the lettering.

lewis.

Hi Rusty, difficult to be precise how the plate was made up, It does appear to be some form of heated print-ink application, I would also guess that the plates were made up without the numbers, and these appear to be added later and not as neatly as the lettering.

lewis.

Hi Ken,

That is what I thought, but I couldn't quite tell. It makes sense that they would make them up on an as-needed basis. It might be possible to locate a photo from the field showing one of these in use too.

RC

• 1 month later...

I had to spend some wonderful time at my local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) on Saturday and noticed a display of CA license plates up on the wall.

post-2687-0-13283200-1549299394_thumb.jpg

Remembering this thread, I tried to get a closeup of the war years plates. The location was not ideal for photography purposes, so this is the best I could do. Enjoy!

post-2687-0-02924600-1549299435_thumb.jpg

Mikie

General Apathy

I had to spend some wonderful time at my local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) on Saturday and noticed a display of CA license plates up on the wall.

attachicon.gifWall.jpg

Remembering this thread, I tried to get a closeup of the war years plates. The location was not ideal for photography purposes, so this is the best I could do. Enjoy!

attachicon.gifWar years.jpg

Mikie

Hi Mikie, I was just taking one last look at the forum topics before heading for bed and spotted that you had added these number plate photos, well done sir an ace piece of reporting, what a beautiful display and so well laid out and the date details they included.

lewis.

• 3 weeks later...
trenchrat1918

Hello everyone, I thought some of you would like to see my latest acquisition. Here is a 1944 New York license plate. What makes this one really cool is that it was originally a 1942 plate and the 2 was restamped with a 4. Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

trenchrat1918

Here is my attempt at close ups of the restamped number. When war conservation measures went into effect some states switched from issuing 2 plates to 1. If a 2nd plate was already manufactured the extra plate was restamped and issued to the registered user in a subsequent year.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

attachicon.gifWall.jpg

attachicon.gifWar years.jpg

Mikie

Thanks Mikie. I somehow missed your photos here but they are great.

Rene

trenchrat1918

Thanks Trenchrat, that's a nice restamped plate. I'll be looking out for one from now on.

Rene

They're out there, finding a nice example that isn't outrageously expensive is the hard part. Wes

• 4 months later...

Some new additions. Finally a 1943 plate and one that looks kinda familiar to the one that started off this thread :).

post-169612-0-01037600-1561882663_thumb.jpg

Rene

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

Heres my NC tags. The 42 tag have been restored at some point. Im not sure

Hi Joe, you have some nice plates there and displayed well amongst the photos, I like them all, but the script on that 41 plate is highly unusual I would think, I love it.

thanks for sharing.

lewis

Thanks Lewis. I really liked the look of that 41 plate. When I seen it in a antique store. It wasn’t cheap. But I hadn’t seen a 41 before. Didn’t buy it when I first was it. But talked myself into going back & buying it. The 1940 NC plate & some of the 30’s plates have that same script. Joe

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

Two of my favourite items, Jeeps and Tag plates . . . . . . . . . . .

I just had to add this photo here to the tag plates thread, love the unusual ' dealer ' tag plate and the early Bantam BRC-40 model of Jeep. No information was attached to this photograph so would the dealer plate be used by the Bantam car company launching their model of this Jeep, are they executives of Bantam, most likely I think. My other consideration is this, has this model been sold off to local vehicle dealerships as being superseded by the newer models of Willys and Ford.

If anyone does have information on this photo I would love to hear of it please.

lewis.

.post-344-0-50636500-1572277710.jpeg

In knowing how things work in the auto industry (30 year vet here) I'd say this BRC was brought via transporter from the Bantam factory to a local dealer, where at that time one of the tags registered to the local dealer was attached for whatever function it was featured at.....plates do exist that are used my the manufacturer specifically but this dealer plate is not one of them. As long as the plates are registered to a dealer, they can be fastened to anything and don't have to be registered to the vehicle.

General Apathy

Only thing i can contribute is it is from 1941 license plate is from a Pennsylvania dealership

Hiya, Thanks the 41 plate and dealer written on it leads me to believe these people in the Jeep are from the Bantam Car Company situated in Butler PA. The company produced the first model around September 1940 which was a different design with a much rounded front grill than this one. So this BRC-40 looks like a newer variation developed and launched in 1941, hence the 41 PA plate.

regards lewis.

General Apathy

In knowing how things work in the auto industry (30 year vet here) I'd say this BRC was brought via transporter from the Bantam factory to a local dealer, where at that time one of the tags registered to the local dealer was attached for whatever function it was featured at.....plates do exist that are used my the manufacturer specifically but this dealer plate is not one of them. As long as the plates are registered to a dealer, they can be fastened to anything and don't have to be registered to the vehicle.

Hi everforward. good insight thanks, is it possible that the dealers name can be seen at the top of the plate above the word ' Dealer ', there is something in small type printed there.

regards lewis.