* Car Tag Plates - Saving Metal WWII *

General Apathy

Thank you Paulyp99 for adding the plate. Hopefully more members will add theirs.

Here's a Wisconsin plate with an added 'bonus' on the back.

Rene

post-169612-0-65016400-1522089869_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-80766000-1522089896.jpg

post-169612-0-63770600-1522089924_thumb.jpg

Here's another plate with a metal saving tag. It is in a rather sorry condition so I'm thinking about restoring it. On the other hand: there isn't probably another one like it.

post-169612-0-82903800-1522336467_thumb.jpg

Rene

In Massachusetts you may reactivate a vintage car plate under the "Year Of Manufacture" MA DMV regulations. Of course there is an application to fill out, with fee. The plate number cannot be an active number, cannot have been restored and must pass a visual inspection by the DMV. Here are my two wartime vintage plates, one is on my 1941 Chevy Staff car and the other on my 1942 GPW.

post-23999-0-14246600-1522552706.jpgpost-23999-0-20012900-1522552727.jpg

Thanks Scarecrow for adding those nice plates. I like the fact that they allow you to reactivate those original plates.

Rene

everforward

Tags issued in Virginia for the year 1944 were made of a pressed cardboard material (maybe soybeans)....this is a set that I have, along with the local road tax plate topper for Winchester.

post-8237-0-57382400-1522699244_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Hi everyone, I wanted to start a thread about war time license plates but in my search on the forum I stumbled across this one. Since it already has some very nice examples (especially the ones with the mini plates added) I thought it might be a good idea to try to revive this one. So I hope that everyone out there with some war time plates in their collection will add them here :).

In keeping with the Penna theme ;) I will add two of mine

attachicon.gif SAM_2932 penna plates b.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, wow thanks for kick starting this thread again, been so busy for several months didn't have time to look through all the different forums, pleased to see that several other members have kick in as well with some great tags. Here's my earliest one dated 1918.

Lewis.

.post-344-0-75147200-1523091984_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

In Massachusetts you may reactivate a vintage car plate under the "Year Of Manufacture" MA DMV regulations. Of course there is an application to fill out, with fee. The plate number cannot be an active number, cannot have been restored and must pass a visual inspection by the DMV. Here are my two wartime vintage plates, one is on my 1941 Chevy Staff car and the other on my 1942 GPW.

Hi Scarecrow, thanks for adding your plates, love the additional decoration piece above your Chevy car plate, I have an Air-force one as well, sadly never been able to learn more about the numbers on it.

Lewis

.post-344-0-63246500-1523092483_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Tags issued in Virginia for the year 1944 were made of a pressed cardboard material (maybe soybeans)....this is a set that I have, along with the local road tax plate topper for Winchester.

Hi Everforward, nice set of plates and in great condition , the additional top strip must be a rare piece to pick up, not seen one like that before

Lewis.

Thanks Everforward! Sorry for replying a little late but those are beautiful plates. I'm still on the lookout for some cardboard/soybean plates. :)

Since you are from Virginia you may like this one.

post-169612-0-38839600-1523110886_thumb.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, wow thanks for kick starting this thread again, been so busy for several months didn't have time to look through all the different forums, pleased to see that several other members have kick in as well with some great tags. Here's my earliest one dated 1918.

Lewis.

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks, Ken. And again a Penna plate, hahaha. Nice one.

Rene

everforward

Hi Everforward, nice set of plates and in great condition , the additional top strip must be a rare piece to pick up, not seen one like that before

Lewis.

Many thanks..! Yes the plate toppers can command quite a price when they appear, and a good set of plates themselves can bring a premium.....the 1944 motorcycle plates are scary rare and are big bucks.

everforward

Thanks Everforward! Sorry for replying a little late but those are beautiful plates. I'm still on the lookout for some cardboard/soybean plates. :)

Since you are from Virginia you may like this one.

attachicon.gif SAM_3097 Va plate.jpg

Rene

Nice..! Id like to have a 42 Ford to hang that on... :)

RustyCanteen

Hi Scarecrow, thanks for adding your plates, love the additional decoration piece above your Chevy car plate, I have an Air-force one as well, sadly never been able to learn more about the numbers on it.

Lewis

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Ken,

I love that one. It's interesting that it was intended to go below the plate. Perhaps a base tag went above? I am thinking that yours is a squadron number. Usually the base tags had the numbers on them for accountability and registration, but since no location is given, I am going with 194th [something] Squadron. Very nice either way!

Regards,

RC

General Apathy

This is a fun thread, keep posting!

Hi everforward, thanks for your latest posts and mention of the cost of tag plate toppers, also yes I agree with you Rusty, a fun and interesting topic, here's another one of mine, I have a couple more hanging around the place when I get the time.

And for a change it's not a Penna one . . . . . . .

Lewis.

.post-344-0-61772300-1523130840_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

I love that one. It's interesting that it was intended to go below the plate. Perhaps a base tag went above? I am thinking that yours is a squadron number. Usually the base tags had the numbers on them for accountability and registration, but since no location is given, I am going with 194th [something] Squadron. Very nice either way!

Regards,

RC

Hi Rusty, I have tried all types of combinations of the number with Air-Corps, Air-Force, squadrons, fighters etc, etc, none of these attempts have raised any information, well not for me anyway, perhaps US members might pull up something.

Lewis.

everforward

Ken, et.al:

Where are my manners, I had totally forgot about this one...... ;)

This I believe was issued at Ft. Meade and assigned to certain individuals who were allowed to have automobiles on the post. I seem to recall a small article in one of the Chin Strap newspapers about these but I have lost track of it. Anyhoo, this was the 2nd one issued, so perhaps to the asst. Division CO at the time (in 1941 that would have been BG Amos W.W. Woodcock, MD Natl. Guard...) I really dont know who it belonged to but I reckon the info is tucked away somewhere.

post-8237-0-79261400-1523146076_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Thank you Paulyp99 for adding the plate. Hopefully more members will add theirs.

Here's a Wisconsin plate with an added 'bonus' on the back.

Rene

Hi Rene, that's great that the owner of the plate and car put some small detail on the rear, I try to do something similar with various pieces, as my daughter grew up I got her to name and date things that she would like to keep, it helps increase the memory of that item.

Lewis.

General Apathy

Ken, et.al:

Where are my manners, I had totally forgot about this one...... ;)

This I believe was issued at Ft. Meade and assigned to certain individuals who were allowed to have automobiles on the post. I seem to recall a small article in one of the Chin Strap newspapers about these but I have lost track of it. Anyhoo, this was the 2nd one issued, so perhaps to the asst. Division CO at the time (in 1941 that would have been BG Amos W.W. Woodcock, MD Natl. Guard...) I really dont know who it belonged to but I reckon the info is tucked away somewhere.

attachicon.gif E05A9C47-C201-480E-AB9E-72FD56116D37.jpeg

Hi everforward, that's a beaut, and 29th Div, you have a solid piece there. . . . . . . . . . . I visited the museum at Ft. Meade a few years back. . . . . . . . .

Here's another survivor I have, from Michigan

Lewis.

.post-344-0-02754600-1523186253_thumb.jpg

Everforward, that's a great Ft. Meade plate. That one's extra special. Thanks for posting!

Ken, nice Michigan plate. You were lucky to get it properly photographed because there's a train approaching from the left.........

And for everyone who's planning their vacation here's a suggestion:

post-169612-0-74241700-1523191894_thumb.jpg

Rene

Hi Rusty, I have tried all types of combinations of the number with Air-Corps, Air-Force, squadrons, fighters etc, etc, none of these attempts have raised any information, well not for me anyway, perhaps US members might pull up something.

Lewis.

Lewis,

Had a thought, could your plate topper indicate a Station number? For example my Father-In-Law, who was with the 490th BG, was stationed in Eye UK, Station 134. I checked the list of USAAF WWII UK station numbers but unfortunately it lists Station numbers 194-196 as "Non-UK". But might be a start to ID yours.

General Apathy

Lewis,

Had a thought, could your plate topper indicate a Station number? For example my Father-In-Law, who was with the 490th BG, was stationed in Eye UK, Station 134. I checked the list of USAAF WWII UK station numbers but unfortunately it lists Station numbers 194-196 as "Non-UK". But might be a start to ID yours.

Hi Scarecrow, thanks for your thoughts on what the numbering might be on the plaque I have, I tried checking for station numbers in the US as this is where the plaque came from, I bought it from Peter a forum member in California, drew a blank on that as you did with UK station numbers. Still a mystery at present.

Lewis.

trenchrat1918

Hello, I finally got around to posting a couple of war-era plates from my collection. The first plate is a 1945 soybean plate from Illinois

post-160250-0-01031300-1523846099_thumb.jpg