* Car Tag Plates - Saving Metal WWII *

General Apathy

General Apathy

post-344-0-61009800-1440501137.jpg

Shown here is a full plate produced in 1942, to save metals however in the following years just a small dated section was made to attach to the full plate. For some strange reason the 1943 date has been rivited over on the opposite side of the plate, but there is paint fading evidence to show that the 1944 date had been fixed over the original 1942 date.

Anyone else have any interesting plates to add to this topic.

Lewis.

Don't know if you find these interesting but the first plate was made to be used from March 42 to March 43. The second one made to be used from March 45 to March 46.

post-108826-0-40699200-1440514970.jpg

General Apathy

Leave it to my home state! Thanks for posting.

Hi Bagman, thanks for taking the time to look and add comment.

Lewis.

General Apathy

Don't know if you find these interesting but the first plate was made to be used from March 42 to March 43. The second one made to be used from March 45 to March 46.

post-344-0-17838300-1440523699.jpg

post-344-0-07061100-1440523720.jpg

Hi Hardheaded, looks like we have both been hunting bear in the same neck of the woods, but your plates are in much nicer shape than the ones I have, thanks for adding them.

Lewis.

Hi Hardheaded, looks like we have both been hunting bear in the same neck of the woods, but your plates are in much nicer shape than the ones I have, thanks for adding them.

Lewis.

Hi Lewis,

Mine might be in nicer shape but you have the interesting one with the mini plates B)

I got these three plates this year and they're the only ones I have. Here's the twin to my 42.

HH

post-108826-0-72229600-1440535040.jpg

The museum has several examples of these on display. In addition we have one made out of compressed soy beans! Interesting that a war time economy measure led someone to the brilliant idea (not sarcasm) of keeping the same plate and just adding a new tag each year.

General Apathy

These are some great plates! Very interesting how some added dates only.

...Kat

Hi Kat & Ray, thanks for dropping by and reading and showing interest in the topic

Lewis.

General Apathy

The museum has several examples of these on display. In addition we have one made out of compressed soy beans! Interesting that a war time economy measure led someone to the brilliant idea (not sarcasm) of keeping the same plate and just adding a new tag each year.

Hi Grant, thanks for adding comment about having versions made out of Soy beans, nice to see how the topic has expanded information in just a few posts. From my original post showing small yearly plates, Hardheaded's contribution showing annual plates, and your mention of Soy bean plates.

Hope others join in with further versions.

Lewis.

Here's a couple from the museum. Is it a coincidence that we all seem to have Pennsylvania? The first one is the one made out of soybeans.

post-133376-0-49790100-1440759716.jpg

post-133376-0-83562800-1440759717.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

I have read somewhere that the soy bean ones were sometimes munched on by farm animals. Don't know if that's true or an urban myth.

General Apathy

Here's a couple from the museum. Is it a coincidence that we all seem to have Pennsylvania? The first one is the one made out of soybeans.

Hi Grant, thanks for adding the Soy bean plate, I now realize that I must have seen one or two of these for sale whilst in the states a few years ago, being just a flat painted plate didn't really take my interest.

But thanks again.

Lewis.

General Apathy

I have read somewhere that the soy bean ones were sometimes munched on by farm animals. Don't know if that's true or an urban myth.

Hi Cobra, thanks for adding comment, I suppose there might have been a smell to them that farm animals or rats could have detected as food, even the metal ones get eaten by ' rust ' . ^_^

Thanks

Lewis.

Cobra 6 Actual

Hi Cobra, thanks for adding comment, I suppose there might have been a smell to them that farm animals or rats could have detected as food, even the metal ones get eaten by ' rust ' . ^_^

Thanks

Lewis.

Thanks, sir. I saw a photo many years ago of a half-chewed soybean license plate, but at the time I wasn't a collector and didn't know if it was a spoof photo or one of an actual "meal" of a farm animal.

• 1 month later...

I read the same thing in a first-hand account. It was recounted in an older book, "The Home Front: An Oral History of the War Years in America 1941-1945", by Archie Satterfield.

It's been a while since I read it, but I know a lady in the book mentioned it happening to them on the new farm she purchased with her husband.

General Apathy

Picked this one up today.

Hi Hardheaded, nice find, really like the style of it, also the condition is good, thanks for adding to the thread.

Lewis.

Cobra 6 Actual

I read the same thing in a first-hand account. It was recounted in an older book, "The Home Front: An Oral History of the War Years in America 1941-1945", by Archie Satterfield.

It's been a while since I read it, but I know a lady in the book mentioned it happening to them on the new farm she purchased with her husband.

Thanks, Rusty ... appreciated the confirmation!

General Apathy

Thanks, Rusty ... appreciated the confirmation!

Hi Rusty, yes, agree with Cobra 6 thanks for adding information on what you had read about the soy bean plates.

Lewis.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, I wanted to start a thread about war time license plates but in my search on the forum I stumbled across this one. Since it already has some very nice examples (especially the ones with the mini plates added) I thought it might be a good idea to try to revive this one. So I hope that everyone out there with some war time plates in their collection will add them here :).

In keeping with the Penna theme ;) I will add two of mine

post-169612-0-13223200-1521969351_thumb.jpg

Rene

Here is a NJ plate with an added `43 tag. It is a bit worse for wear (some might call it patina, some just call it rust :D) but I like it.