State Guard Units

Jim Baker

Hello to all, I just would like to know if you have some photos with men wearing those patches. I never saw just one.

I have the patch of the maryland NG in my collection (I got it on ebay) but never saw a photo of it till that post. I'm just now more than interested to see period photos...

Congratulations for the collections and patches shown here

Regards, Yannick

• 2 weeks later...

I am very new to this website and I can barely maneuver around, and I still don't know what a "thread" is. However, I am a big State Guard and National Guard collector. I appreciate all the nice comments about "Richard Smith's" book of state guard patches because I wrote the book. Smitty was kind enough to put up the funding to publish the book, and in an effort to sell copies and recoup his investment, we decided to allow Smitty's name to be used on the cover. After all, he had published several other great patch reference books and was well know for his books. His name had a "cachet" , while did not. However, in the book it lists me as the copyright holder.

This is not me patting myself on the back. It is just a "Thank You" for all the nice comments. It took me many years to accumulate the info published in the book, and since its publication in 1994, I have accumulated dozens and dozens of additional patches, both from the WWII period, as well as the post 1980 state defense force patches.

In looking over the patches just on this "page" (?), I see a couple of NY State Guard patches I have never seen before - the ones embroidered on wool with the circle. Amazing to see stuff 60 years after the fact that I had never seen before. I would love to hear from other collectors who have an interest in State Guard patches. So little had ever been published about them before that publishing the book was intended to bring info out into the light of collecting. Let's share more info, OK?

Steve Johnson "PatchJohnson"

I am very new to this website and I can barely maneuver around, and I still don't know what a "thread" is. However, I am a big State Guard and National Guard collector. I appreciate all the nice comments about "Richard Smith's" book of state guard patches because I wrote the book. Smitty was kind enough to put up the funding to publish the book, and in an effort to sell copies and recoup his investment, we decided to allow Smitty's name to be used on the cover. After all, he had published several other great patch reference books and was well know for his books. His name had a "cachet" , while did not. However, in the book it lists me as the copyright holder.

This is not me patting myself on the back. It is just a "Thank You" for all the nice comments. It took me many years to accumulate the info published in the book, and since its publication in 1994, I have accumulated dozens and dozens of additional patches, both from the WWII period, as well as the post 1980 state defense force patches.

In looking over the patches just on this "page" (?), I see a couple of NY State Guard patches I have never seen before - the ones embroidered on wool with the circle. Amazing to see stuff 60 years after the fact that I had never seen before. I would love to hear from other collectors who have an interest in State Guard patches. So little had ever been published about them before that publishing the book was intended to bring info out into the light of collecting. Let's share more info, OK?

Steve Johnson "PatchJohnson"

Steve,

I just got my copy and am really enjoying it. So far I haven't bought any state patches since I'm still scoping out prices and the like. Right now, eBay is my main outlet for patches, so it's a lot of hit and miss.

I understand we might be neighbors, as I live in Lakewood. Do you ever go to the little show at JeffCo Fairgrounds??

Again, the book is great. I look forward to your input and advice. I think you will enjoy the site. There are some first rate "rag pickers" here.

Jim

Steve,

Are you any relation to the famous patch collector Dave Johnson? He is a very important collector and he says he has some poor relation in Colorado. :lol:

I am very happy to see you on the forum and wish that that brother of yours would post every once in a while instead of lurk (hint hint Dave!).

Allan

Allan,

Is this baby Huey? Man, I miss your smile and your expertise! Yes, I am the poor relation in Colorado. Right now, Dave is back at the SOS while I'm in Colorado enjoying the last sunny day before our next blizzard.

I just picked up a good used copy of "Geronimo" on eBay for $7.52! I couldn't believe such luck.

I'm mainly on this website seeking those other poor, unfortunate souls who have an interest in state guard/National Guard patches. I've actually seen a couple I don't have and I've only been looking for two days.

Over.

PatchJohnson

SDJ in CO

Allan,

Is this baby Huey? Man, I miss your smile and your expertise! Yes, I am the poor relation in Colorado. Right now, Dave is back at the SOS while I'm in Colorado enjoying the last sunny day before our next blizzard.

I just picked up a good used copy of "Geronimo" on eBay for $7.52! I couldn't believe such luck.

I'm mainly on this website seeking those other poor, unfortunate souls who have an interest in state guard/National Guard patches. I've actually seen a couple I don't have and I've only been looking for two days.

Over.

PatchJohnson

SDJ in CO

SDJ,

I haven't heard "Baby Huey" in a long time! Thanks for the laugh! I wish I was with your brother and the others at SOS, but got shafted by my employer at the last minute. I am still stinging! Oh well.

I'm very glad to know that you have found the site and am looking forward to your participation. Hope you can stay warm and dry through the blizzard. the snow will be finding its way to Kansas on Sunday. I guess you and I can just look forward to ASMIC in Denver at the end of the summer.

Allan

John,

Many thanks for the scan of your NYG items. As a long-time SG collector, I had never seen the small NYG patches with the outer circles like yours. Would you be interested in trading or selling one each of the brown and the blue? I have lots of other SG to trade, or will buy if you'd care to let them go.

Steve Johnspn

PatchJohnson

Golden, CO

Allan,

Thanks for the official welcome to the site. I'm still very confused by it and I feel like an idiot trying to reply to individuals. However, in only a couple of days I have learned a lot.

Looking forward to seeing you in Denver in August.

Question: How would you contact a member off line? I mean it's one thing to ask and/or answer questions sent out to the general membership, but what if I want to ask them something that I don't want the entire world to be peeking in on? Like working out a trade, etc? Help me out here.

SDJ

You can go to the profile of the member you want to talk to and click on "send personal message".

That way, you send a message that only that particular member will receive.

Erwin

Hello,

Would any of you be able to tell me if this is an Indiana State Guard patch?

Jerry

Jerry,

Yes it is. 1945-1947. Nice patch.

This patch is for San Fransisco University ROTC.

Patch Johnson

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the ID on the SFU ROTC patch. I've got it tagged now!Welcome to the Forum! Time to get your scanner fixed so you can share images of your State Guard collection with those of us who are just now getting interested in collecting them.

Jim - First one on top of what I already had! A nice Massachusetts SG.

Gary

post-84-1172360637.jpg

post-84-1172360652.jpg

Hello,

Would any of you be able to tell me if this is an Indiana State Guard patch?

Jerry

Jerry,

Indeed, it is one of the WWII Indiana SG patches. It is catalog number IN-03 in my SG book. Quite a decent patch! The design on the patch is from the State Seal of Indiana.

Steve Johnson

PatchJohnson

i have a 1945 dated jacket that has the ohio state guard patch on the left and 33rd div. on the right. rank of lieutenant. beleive the jacket is tailor made.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the ID on the SFU ROTC patch. I've got it tagged now!Welcome to the Forum! Time to get your scanner fixed so you can share images of your State Guard collection with those of us who are just now getting interested in collecting them.

Jim - First one on top of what I already had! A nice Massachusetts SG.

Gary

Nice patch Gary!! Nothing here yet, but I'm still looking and checking out prices.

i have a 1945 dated jacket that has the ohio state guard patch on the left and 33rd div. on the right. rank of lieutenant. beleive the jacket is tailor made.

Costa,

With a lot of WWII state guard uniforms, if there is a division patch on the right sleeve, it denotes that the person was a WWI vet, having served in the 33rd Div (in your case) during WWI.

Steve Johnson

PatchJohnson

• 4 weeks later...

Gary,

I got the book and have enjoyed it so far. Did you get a copy yet?

Still no SG patches, but I'm watching them and thinking about it.

Gary,

I got the book and have enjoyed it so far. Did you get a copy yet?

Still no SG patches, but I'm watching them and thinking about it.

Hi Jim,

I found one on eBay for a very reasonable price last week. Still waiting on its arrival. Looking forward to reading up on them.

Gary

Hi All,

Michigan National Guard uniform:

korea1jr1.jpg

A LONG history unit!! thumbsup.gif

The Spanish-American War / Mexican Border Duty / World War I / Labor Troubles in Flint / and....

Michigan National Guard in World War II

The Adjutant General, Brig. Gen. LeRoy Pearson, gave the following report to Governor Kelly on July 16, 1944:

"All units of the Michigan National Guard inducted into federal service on October 15, 1940, February 24, 1941, and April 7, 1941, aggregating 527 officers, 8 Warrant Officers, and 7,673 enlisted men, continued in Federal service because of the war during this period.

"There are no official reports as to exact location of these troops, such information being restricted by the War Department for security reasons. It is known from unofficial sources, however, that the 32nd Division, elements of which are composed of Michigan troops, has rendered outstanding service in action against the enemy."

The Pacific Theater

Those "unofficial" sources quoted by Brig. Gen. Pearson were an understatement. Michigan units in the 32nd Division were indeed in the southwest Pacific theater. They were among the first American soldiers to meet the enemy in World War II and went on to establish the longest combat record of any American division in the war. The account of the division's incredible feats during the "Bloody Buna" campaign on New Guinea early in the war has become a military classic in the study of mountain/jungle warfare.

Overseas for 40 months, the men fought continuously for more than a year-and-a-half. Members of the 32nd Division won six Congressional Medals of Honor. A Presidential Unit Citation for the entire Division confirmed its outstanding combat record.

Michigan Guard at D-Day

Members of the Michigan National Guard's 254th Combat Engineer Battalion and 107th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron played a vital role in the Normandy Campaign. One platoon of the 254th went ashore with the first wave at Omaha Beach on D-Day, the 6th of June 1944. The rest of the combat engineers from the Upper Penninsula went ashore on June 8th.

Michigan's 254th was assigned the task of building and repairing bridges, thereby facilitating the link-up of the infantrymen landing on the beaches with the paratroopers who had jumped behind enemy lines in the early morning hours of June 6. Normandy was the first of five campaigns for the 254th, which went on to receive the Presidential Unit Citation for extraordinary heroism during the Battle of the Bulge.

Even before the patroopers jumped into Normandy to commence the invasion, pilots of the Michigan National Guard's 107th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron were flying photographic missions in preparation for D-Day. Mobilized at Detroit October 15, 1940, as part of the 32nd "Red Arrow" Division, it took part in antisubmarine patrols along the U.S. Atlantic coast before deploying to England in August 1942.

Flying the F-6A, the reconnaissance version of the P-51 Mustang, the 107th became the first operational photographic reconnaissance squadron in Northern Europe. The squadron's pilots flew 384 missions to perform the dangerous task of photographically mapping the French coast before D-Day. Miraculously, only one aircraft was shot down from December 1943 to June 1944. Lt. Donald E. Colton was killed in action in the vicinity of Roven, France, May 9, 1944. For its efforts during this period, the 107th received the Presidential Unit Citation.

Assigned to support the First U.S. Army during the Normandy Campaign, the 107th became the first recon squadron to operate from French soil. the squadron flew an additional 1,800-plus missions after May, 1944 and participated in four campaigns following Normandy.

Returning Home

Under War Department policy, many of Michigan's National Guard units were detached from their former organizations and attached to other units. Such was the case for the 107th Observation Squadron, which entered service with the 32nd Division. The Squadron was later attached to the 67th Fighter Reconnaissance Group and performed outstanding service in the European Theater of Operations. In this way, Michigan units were committed to combat operations on a worldwide basis and participated with honor on every front.

Following their service during World War II, all Michigan National Guard units remaining in Federal service were officially deactivated by the Army. Officers and men returned to their homes as individuals rather than in units.

The Michigan National Guard was again required to undertake post-war re-establishment and organization from scratch. The Governor officially accepted the troop allotment assigned to Michigan by the National Defense Authority on May 31, 1946. The allotment called for 228 troop units (including 16 Air National Guard units) to be manned by 24,795 officers and men. This strength was not attained, however, because the War Department immediately began to scale down its plans.

Insofar as possible, units were allotted to Michigan communities that had previously sponsored National Guard units and where state-owned or leased armory facilities were available. Initial priority was given to the organization of the State Headquarters, the 46th Infantry Division, and Air National Guard units.

On September 29, 1946, the first post-war units of the Michigan National Guard were activated. Intense organiztional efforts continued for the next two years. On June 30, 1948, the Adjutant General reported to the Governor that 94 percent of the first priority units had been organized and federally recognized. A total of 121 units (including 15 Air Guard units) had been organized in 40 communities with a strength of 8,818 officers and enlisted—the greatest strength to date in Michigan history.

The Korean Conflict

The nation's second mobilization in a decade was touched off by the invasion of South Korea on June 25, 1950. Twenty-six Michigan Army and Air National Guard units were called to active military service during the Korean Conflict. Inducted strength of these units totaled 2,742 officers and men.

Three Michigan National Guard units were awarded battle participation credits for their roles in the Korean conflict. These were: 1437th Engineer Company (Treadway Bridge) of Sault Ste. Marie; the 107th Ordnance Company of Pontiac; and the 1806th Engineer Aviation Company. Five units of the 979th Field Artillery Battalion and five units of the 1279th Combat Engineer Battalion served in Europe.

All three squadrons of the 127th Fighter Wing, Michigan Air National Guard, were federalized in 1951. Two squadrons were stationed at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz. The Battle Creek squadron was assigned to Selfridge Air National Guard Base. The remaining federalized Michigan Army and Air National Guard units served in the United States, but some of their officers and men were transferred to units that eventually saw service in Korea.

With the exception of those who elected to remain on active duty, most of Michigan's Guardsmen completed their tours of duty by the late spring or summer of 1952 and returned home.

Font: http://www.michigan.gov

Best regards,

Ricardo.

• 6 months later...

Jim

While you are at it in broading your hoizons with the State Guard Patches, are you also collecting the SG crests or SG DUI.

I have a pitifully small collection of State Guard patches by the standards of what I have seen here. Until then I was rather proud of my collection. However I keep getting beat out on ebay, so do not have many of the ones I have been looking for. Some of these do go for enourmous prices, but it is a fun side line to other collections.

Just recently decided to start in on the crests or DUI. Although I have not seen that many of these on ebay since I have been looking specificaly for them.

S E Craig