State Guard Units

Jim Baker

Garth,

After seeing the final auction price, Kurt A. confirmed for me that it was just an auction the bidders let get out of hand. Phew! What a relief it was just a typical eBay auction, where someone couldn't live without it, instead of an actual value. At those prices, count me out! I am seriously thinking about pursuing the SG patches to see how far I can get, but will wait until I have the Smith reference. Sounds like a good one.

In the meantime, with you just getting out of SG collecting, can you share which of these patches you had a hard time finding? Which ones are really tough?

Thanks,

Gary

Gary-

Aside from some particular variations for a state, as far as assembling a set of SG patches for each state, the toughest will be West Virginia. Behind that one would be Wyoming and Colorado (the one you have, not the round post war type with the star in the middle). The next level down would be South Dakota, North Dakota and Lousiana. As I recall, all the rest I was able to hunt down with not too much difficulty. Ebay is the best place to find them. But if they're properly ID'd with the right key words, you have to pay. I obtained my Wyoming "under the radar" on Ebay.

Kurt

post-322-1170975814.jpg

Gary - I have all of the current ones, I'm looking for these older versions

Connecticut (white shield)

Hawaii (with word Hawaii

Idaho (circular)

Iowa (circular eagle with scroll in mouth)

Kentucky (Rifle and Quill)

New York (Ship in circular patch)

Rhode Island (Anchor)

I also collect NG OCS and NCO academy patches when I can find them.

Kevin

Kevin,

I know I sold some NG HQ patches from a huge patch collection on eBay a couple of months ago, but there are still a good handful of both color and subdued NG types left. I'll check and see if any you are seeking are in the box.

This patch was in the same collection. The previous owner, an Air Force officer who is now deceased, had this in with his Army Reserve, NG, OCS and ROTC binder but, unfortunately, didn't have it IDed. I have no idea what it is and am hoping you will recognize it as a possible NG OCS type? It's a larger patch measuring 4" top to bottom, fully machine embroidered, doesn't glow under UV and has the dark blue base material reminicient of late 1940's, early 1950's patches. Guesses Kevin... anyone?

Gary

post-84-1170976714.jpg

post-84-1170976757.jpg

Kevin,

I know I sold some NG HQ patches from a huge patch collection on eBay a couple of months ago, but there are still a good handful of both color and subdued NG types left. I'll check and see if any you are seeking are in the box.

This patch was in the same collection. The previous owner, an Air Force officer who is now deceased, had this in with his Army Reserve, NG, OCS and ROTC binder but, unfortunately, didn't have it IDed. I have no idea what it is and am hoping you will recognize it as a possible NG OCS type? It's a larger patch measuring 4" top to bottom, fully machine embroidered, doesn't glow under UV and has the dark blue base material reminicient of late 1940's, early 1950's patches. Guesses Kevin... anyone?

Gary

Gary - Thanks. I don't recognize the patch you posted but I suspect it is ROTC. Kevin

Gary-

Aside from some particular variations for a state, as far as assembling a set of SG patches for each state, the toughest will be West Virginia. Behind that one would be Wyoming and Colorado (the one you have, not the round post war type with the star in the middle). The next level down would be South Dakota, North Dakota and Lousiana. As I recall, all the rest I was able to hunt down with not too much difficulty. Ebay is the best place to find them. But if they're properly ID'd with the right key words, you have to pay. I obtained my Wyoming "under the radar" on Ebay.

Kurt

Kurt,

A good friend in Wyoming found the Wyoming SG patch identical to yours, with two WYO marked discs, at a yard sale in Sheridan, WY. The group was offered to me in trade, but I was being wishy-washy on attempting a SG collection. Now that I know it's on the scarce side, I will go whining, sniveling and begging for a new trade offer! Any ideas on what that patch and two discs would be worth?

Okay, you've got me nibbling the bait, now set the hook with some more images of your SG patch collection.

Gary

vintageproductions

Gary-I have had that green and yellow, with the black design in the center patch in the past. if I remeber right it was a multi-piece wool one, and I believe it was ID'ed to a ROTC unit in Northern California. Wish I could remember the exact school, but it was ina collection I bought about six years ago.

Bob Chatt

Garth Thompson
Garth,

After seeing the final auction price, Kurt A. confirmed for me that it was just an auction the bidders let get out of hand. Phew! What a relief it was just a typical eBay auction, where someone couldn't live without it, instead of an actual value. At those prices, count me out! I am seriously thinking about pursuing the SG patches to see how far I can get, but will wait until I have the Smith reference. Sounds like a good one.

In the meantime, with you just getting out of SG collecting, can you share which of these patches you had a hard time finding? Which ones are really tough?

Thanks,

Gary

Gary,

I'd agree with Kurt on the tougher ones and would add Alaska Territorial Guard, 1st type; Missouri Reserve Military Forces 3rd and 4th Regiments; Virginia Protective Force. I only started collecting SG by accident when I got a few and just started looking through boxes and riker mounts. Sort of "hit the wall" when I had about 50 or so and parked them to pursue other patch interests. There is quite a bit of variation in design and many of the units were quite small so you should be kept looking for a long time. Some of them aren't documented even by Smitty.

Here are a couple of unusual ones I kept:

an early Puerto Rico militia and a 1st Air Squadron Missouri Guard.

Kurt's Maui Volunteers are very scarce.

Trolling Ebay is a good source, I've seen some quite rare ones go very reasonably

Good luck,

Garth

post-83-1170980073.jpg

Gary-I have had that green and yellow, with the black design in the center patch in the past. if I remeber right it was a multi-piece wool one, and I believe it was ID'ed to a ROTC unit in Northern California. Wish I could remember the exact school, but it was ina collection I bought about six years ago.

Bob Chatt

Bob & Kevin,

Thanks for the possible ID. Now that we've narrowed it down to ROTC, hopefully it'll be easier to track to a specific school or unit.

Gary

Gary,

I'd agree with Kurt on the tougher ones and would add Alaska Territorial Guard, 1st type; Missouri Reserve Military Forces 3rd and 4th Regiments; Virginia Protective Force. I only started collecting SG by accident when I got a few and just started looking through boxes and riker mounts. Sort of "hit the wall" when I had about 50 or so and parked them to pursue other patch interests. There is quite a bit of variation in design and many of the units were quite small so you should be kept looking for a long time. Some of them aren't documented even by Smitty.

Here are a couple of unusual ones I kept:

an early Puerto Rico militia and a 1st Air Squadron Missouri Guard.

Kurt's Maui Volunteers are very scarce.

Trolling Ebay is a good source, I've seen some quite rare ones go very reasonably

Good luck,

Garth

Garth,

Well, I'm hooked! The Maui Volunteers and others Kurt posted, the beautiful examples Kevin and all posted and now the two you have posted is a clear indicator that it should turn into a nice little treasure hunt. Never realized that there were that many different types out there.

Gary

Here's the WW2 era Puerto Rico SG patch. (one of the few WW2 era patches with a merrowed border).

Kurt

Nice one, Kurt! Most likely made by the same maker as the ARC, CDC and CNC patches of the WWII period, don't you think? A reverse image on this one would be nice, buddy! I'm guessing the PR SG patch is a harder one to find? Am I right?

I've read that this Guam patch has been identified as both Home Guard and a simple Command patch for the Guam area? Can anyone clarify exactly what it's purpose was? It is a very nice white back and appears to be of WWII vintage.

Gary

post-84-1170984380.jpg

post-84-1170984391.jpg

WOW!!

Just looked back at this thread. Some great patches here. Thanks to all for the responses.

OK Gary, me and you....... ;)

Geez....... this never ends, does it???? :blink:

WOW!!

Just looked back at this thread. Some great patches here. Thanks to all for the responses.

OK Gary, me and you....... ;)

Geez....... this never ends, does it???? :blink:

Hey Jim,

After seeing the different variations posted here, I'm hooked! Geez! Never ending is right, when one is an addict.

Gary

Got a couple of these, and what I believe is the Officers Class A that goes with it....

DSC02232.JPG

DSC02233.JPG

Connecticut State Guard. I need the Officers collar insignia for Connecticut if anyone knows where I can get my hands on some?

Cheers,

Ramsey Green.

Here the State Guard section from my patch binders.

post-322-1171070162.jpg

post-322-1171070228.jpg

post-322-1171070272.jpg

post-322-1171070310.jpg

post-322-1171070352.jpg

post-322-1171070423.jpg

post-322-1171070458.jpg

post-322-1171070513.jpg

post-322-1171070557.jpg

post-322-1171070592.jpg

And the last of my State Guards. One day, if I get motivated, I'll most the more recent National Guard HQ patches.

post-322-1171070671.jpg

Extremely nice collection, Kurt! How long did it take you to put all of these together? Looks like you've been at it for quite a while!

Gary

Extremely nice collection, Kurt! How long did it take you to put all of these together? Looks like you've been at it for quite a while!

Gary

Gary-

I've been accumulating them for about 25 years. My big break was a flea market my father went to back in the 80's. One seller had a basket full of a couple hundred WW2 patches for 50 cents each. Turned out he was in the Army stationed stateside during WW2 with some sort of desk job. He had time to write all 48 states and ask for a State Guard patch. About 30 responded. The seller told my father he could have 100 patches for $29 (I don't understand how that strange amount was arrived at), so he picked out 100 (including the 30 SG's). I've often wondered what the other 100 or so patches he didn't buy were!

Kurt

Gary-

I've been accumulating them for about 25 years. My big break was a flea market my father went to back in the 80's. One seller had a basket full of a couple hundred WW2 patches for 50 cents each. Turned out he was in the Army stationed stateside during WW2 with some sort of desk job. He had time to write all 48 states and ask for a State Guard patch. About 30 responded. The seller told my father he could have 100 patches for $29 (I don't understand how that strange amount was arrived at), so he picked out 100 (including the 30 SG's). I've often wondered what the other 100 or so patches he didn't buy were!

Kurt

Kurt,

Sounds like a cool dad! Yep! You'll wonder the rest of your life if the Alamo Scouts or ODB 101st was in that basket. Hopefully, the only thing he left behind was the more common junk, like ODB Service Commands, 6-wheel TD's and "white sword" 63rd's, that kind of junk! crying.gif

Any ideas on this one? While the scan shows what looks like a merrowed edge, it's really not. More of a semi-merrowed or reinforced embroidered edge, like some of the CDC patches. It does have the looks of being an older patch, embroidered on twill. With the New York State reference, I thought it might fall into the SG category? With the Christian cross, though, no ideas.

Gary

post-84-1171157668.jpg

post-84-1171157682.jpg

Kurt,

In the photo in post #45: The round patch with letters NC on either side of the Kittyhawk Monument, is the old design for the North Carolina Wing of the Civil Air Patrol.