State Guard Units

Jim Baker

I've been told I need to broaden my horizons. :)

Does anyone collect State Guard patches?? Could you post your collections?

Thanks very much!! thumbsup.gif

Jim

Garth Thompson
I've been told I need to broaden my horizons. :)

Does anyone collect State Guard patches?? Could you post your collections?

Thanks very much!! thumbsup.gif

Jim

Jim,

You're a day late for me, I sold off my state guards last month. I collected them for several years as a sideline. There is very little fakery. Steve Johnson out in your neck of the woods has a very large State Guard collection. The only decent book out is Richard Smiths 's CLOTH INSIGNIA OF THE U.S. STATE GUARDS AND STATE DEFENSE FORCES.

Garth

Jim,

You're a day late for me, I sold off my state guards last month. I collected them for several years as a sideline. There is very little fakery. Steve Johnson out in your neck of the woods has a very large State Guard collection. The only decent book out is Richard Smiths 's CLOTH INSIGNIA OF THE U.S. STATE GUARDS AND STATE DEFENSE FORCES.

Garth

Garth,

I've considered buying Smith's book. I already have his book on WWII patches, which includes a section on State Guard patches. Is it worth buying the other book in terms of more information?

Too bad I missed your collection..... insert screaming head. pinch.gif

Hey Jim,

I'll start it off with our own home state! My variation, and yes there are also variations in SG patches, came from a junk store in Pueblo. The lady that ran the store thought it was a Ski Guard patch. If you notice, this variation has the scarce, detachable Colorado SG tab. Discs are for the 120th Air Observation Squadron and 15th Infantry of the Colorado State Guard.

Here is an eBay auction for one of the Colorado patches with Colorado SG embroidered right into the patch. Kurt A and I discussed the final value of this eBay patch and because he collects SG as a favorite sideline, thought it very high for this particular patch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PATCH-FOR-THE-COLORADO...1QQcmdZViewItem

Gary

post-84-1170626587.jpg

post-84-1170626599.jpg

Garth Thompson
Garth,

I've considered buying Smith's book. I already have his book on WWII patches, which includes a section on State Guard patches. Is it worth buying the other book in terms of more information?

Too bad I missed your collection..... insert screaming head. pinch.gif

Jim,

Smithey's State Guard book is a must have. His WW2 book just listed State Guard pieces as a sort of sideline. His State Guard book is a wealth of new information on variations, newly discovered pieces and dates of use. It also addresses all those patches misidentified as state guard which are other organizations.

Garth

Jim,

Smithey's State Guard book is a must have. His WW2 book just listed State Guard pieces as a sort of sideline. His State Guard book is a wealth of new information on variations, newly discovered pieces and dates of use. It also addresses all those patches misidentified as state guard which are other organizations.

Garth

Thanks Garth. I'll have a look.

Gary, nice patch. Judging from the response, maybe there won't be much competition. :)

Jim

Here is a pic of the only State Guard Items that I have (besides a MN SG ribbon bar that was recently identified :) ).

It's a small New York State Guard lot from a local antique store.

John

post-262-1170905115.jpg

CNY Militaria

Having worked with the NYG, I enjoy seeing their items. I have a WWII era khaki overseas cap with the small "NY" patch in bue on it. I will post it next time I am home. Surprisingly, I find SG items hard to find in NY state where I live.

Justin

Gary, nice patch. Judging from the response, maybe there won't be much competition. :)

Jim

Jim,

I know there are some very serious State Guard collectors out there, but I've never had much interest in the stuff. When someone is willing to pay double or triple what a single patch is worth, as in the eBay ColoSG auction, I hate to think of the competition from serious collectors. Once I buy the reference Garth speaks of, who knows??

Here's a handful I've found in patch collections or junk stores and stuck in my miscellaneous binder.

Gary

Wisconsin on felt with cheesecloth backing.

post-84-1170907231.jpg

Well I'll be darned. I picked up a NY State Guard patch this weekend and didn't even know what it was! I have about a half dozen of these patches that I've picked up over the years as a sideline to collecting National Guard state HQ patches. Kevin

Well I'll be darned. I picked up a NY State Guard patch this weekend and didn't even know what it was! I have about a half dozen of these patches that I've picked up over the years as a sideline to collecting National Guard state HQ patches. Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Any NG HQ patches you looking for in particular?

Gary

Hey Kevin,

Any NG HQ patches you looking for in particular?

Gary

Gary - I have all of the current ones, I'm looking for these older versions

Connecticut (white shield)

Hawaii (with word Hawaii

Idaho (circular)

Iowa (circular eagle with scroll in mouth)

Kentucky (Rifle and Quill)

New York (Ship in circular patch)

Rhode Island (Anchor)

I also collect NG OCS and NCO academy patches when I can find them.

Kevin

Here is what is listed in the Britton-Washington reference as New York State Guard. Can anyone verify that?

Gary

It's not listed in Smith and Pelz's Shoulder Sleeve Insignia of the U.S. Armed Forces 1941-1945 which shows the state and territorial forces patches. It looks very simular to the second version of the NY NG HQ patch. Kevin

US Virgin Island National Guard.

Didn't even know there was such a thing until we trained about 15 of them in Pathfinder techniques in 1978. I also ended up being assigned to the Senior Army Advisor's Office on St. Thomas in 1983-84.

BEAR

Garth Thompson
Jim,

I know there are some very serious State Guard collectors out there, but I've never had much interest in the stuff. When someone is willing to pay double or triple what a single patch is worth, as in the eBay ColoSG auction, I hate to think of the competition from serious collectors. Once I buy the reference Garth speaks of, who knows??

Here's a handful I've found in patch collections or junk stores and stuck in my miscellaneous binder.

Gary

Wisconsin on felt with cheesecloth backing.

Gary,

I think the price that Colo SG patch brought on ebay was an anomaly. The guys that collect state guard are serious but there generally isn't the fierce competition that the airborne, air corps, elite unit patches generate. A collector can find some really scarce patches for very fair prices at shows because most sellers don't know what they are. If yoy have any interest at all in the state guard patches Richard Smith's reference is a must have.

Garth

Here is what is listed in the Britton-Washington reference as New York State Guard. Can anyone verify that?

Gary

Yea, I think it's the later version of the NY State Guard. I have one that I got from a NYSG officer. Seems like there is yet another design the NYSG used. (I'm not home right now so I can check my references & collection.)

This small state shield is attributed to the Michigan State Troops of the WWII era. The Michigan State Police were the lead agency that help train and use the new civilian force that took up the enforcement slack when so many soldiers left for duty.

The patch is what they wore. I don't have one....just a photo saved on my computer.

Greg

post-118-1170949246.jpg

post-118-1170949273.jpg

post-118-1170949309.jpg

Gary,

I think the price that Colo SG patch brought on ebay was an anomaly. The guys that collect state guard are serious but there generally isn't the fierce competition that the airborne, air corps, elite unit patches generate. A collector can find some really scarce patches for very fair prices at shows because most sellers don't know what they are. If yoy have any interest at all in the state guard patches Richard Smith's reference is a must have.

Garth

Garth,

After seeing the final auction price, Kurt A. confirmed for me that it was just an auction the bidders let get out of hand. Phew! What a relief it was just a typical eBay auction, where someone couldn't live without it, instead of an actual value. At those prices, count me out! I am seriously thinking about pursuing the SG patches to see how far I can get, but will wait until I have the Smith reference. Sounds like a good one.

In the meantime, with you just getting out of SG collecting, can you share which of these patches you had a hard time finding? Which ones are really tough?

Thanks,

Gary