Bring backs from the CBI theatre

Blu1989

Hi everyone. I pulled these from my Japanese display to show here as these were gifts from another great uncle of mine who served in the war ( I had six great uncles who fought in the war only five made it home and none are still living). He was my grandma's only brother and he was stationed along the Ledo Road as a mechanic. He served there from 1942 until the end of the war when he finally came home. I had talked with one of his sons and wondered if his dad had brought anything home from Burma besides a fungal infection on his feet (he suffered with it all the rest of his life and sadly it never healed properly). He said he wasn't sure as they never talked to him about the war or showed much interest when they were little but he would ask his mother if there was anything and that I could have whatever she found to help preserve it for the family. About three or four months later she sent me my usual early birthday present to open since she would be on her annual cruise on my birthday. I opened the box and in it was a metal lunch pail that he had used when he worked for a dairy creamery back in the 50s. However it was heavy and had a small lock on it which I was able to cut and open the lunch pail. When I opened it up out popped this holster and a folded up flag along with this picture of him in uniform. I opened the flag and immediately I noticed it wasn't a typical meatball flag. It isn't made of silk like most I've seen or handled. Instead it's almost like it's made of a cotton type material and I haven't found an exact copy of this flag anywhere. When I opened up the holster flap I saw this pistol neatly tucked away in it with the mag still in the pistol, thankfully not loaded. The holster has seen better days and is sadly in very bad shape but the pistol is in beautiful condition and has a matching mag with it.

post-159863-0-30420700-1440384724.jpg

post-159863-0-24738900-1440384737.jpg

post-159863-0-21541300-1440384746.jpg

post-159863-0-19736300-1440384828.jpg

wow thats really cool, i think someone posted a similar flag not to long ago here on the forum. seem to remember something like that

The pistol is a Japanese Model 94.....Be careful should you decide to shoot...They have an exposed sear on the side which when pressed can cause the weapon to discharge....I knew a vet who had one and was in the first Marines during WW2.....He called it a surrender pistol, saying the Japanese used it to deceive their capturers....Bodes

USCapturephotos

Oh man what a fabulous birthday present. Thanks for sharing. I hope you kept the metal lunchbox that he squirreled the items away in. Love it love it love it.

Paul

I did keep the lunchbox. My dad uses it out in the garage to keep some of his smaller screws and nails in. It goes well with the toolbox that the same great uncle left him. It may be small but it's packed to the gills with old tools for every kind of job. I don't think I want to shoot the pistol just because of its condition and the fact that ammo's a bit on the expensive side for it.