Govt. M1911s for sale?

willipr

I heard that the government is selling off their remaining stock of 1911s through the CMP (Civillian Markmenship Program). The CMP's website doesn't have any news on this and when I search on the Internet for it, all that comes up is how the Obama administration and other anti-gun activists don't believe releasing these weapons to the public is a good idea. I'd love to get my hands on one if they do end up selling them off. Does anyone else have any news on this?

I've heard that the CMP will be getting these and a few other weapons (some surplus shotguns and such). I also heard that most of the 1911's are pre-1945 dated and will possibly go for around $600. Other than that though I haven't heard much and I don't know how reliable this info is, although I hope that these will appear on the market soon so I can get one as well.

Believe we have a past topic here om this.I recall there was speculation it would take two years to get the process implemented.

Would be great to see these avaiable but hopefuly there wouldnt be a vacuum effect buy those sucking them up in multiples to resell or hoard thinking big return on their investment.

I had heard that the number of M1911's was somewhere around 100,000 to be sold...

No other information though

Leigh

I had heard that the number of M1911's was somewhere around 100,000 to be sold...

No other information though

Leigh

Thats what I had heard rumored 100,00 or 200,000

Im sure the better grades will be sorted and auctioned through the CMP like items in the past at any rate it would be great to see these come out unless politics squelches the deal

phantomfixer

google up CMP for requirements...for firearm sales it is not really joining ...more like qualifying...meet the criteria and you can purchase from CMP.. I signed up to get there newsletter to keep me posted on the 1911 situation....

for the CMP to get 1911s to sell, the Senate would have had to approve the 2015 defense bill amendments...which Obama has threatened to veto..as of late, the amendment is no longer in the bill,,but could resurface...so keep your fingers crossed and more important contact your Senators...write them, call them...conduct a sit in...or just let in fly under the radar, which I do not think will happen...Obama is pretty adamant about this 1911 issue...which does not make sense unless you are a anti gun type...the Dems argument does not hold water

This is just as bad as the Korean Garands and Carbines that was going around the internet . People writing articles and posting inaccurate info. It may or may not ever happen. If it does it isnt going to be anytime to soon.

I also heard that most of the 1911's are pre-1945 dated and will possibly go for around $600.

Not trying to nit-pick, but all M1911s are Pre-1945. The last M1911A1s were made in late 1945. The US Armed services never bought anymore M1911A1s after 1945.

Chris

• 1 month later...

The CMP Posted on their website that the bill to sale Gov. 1911s has passed both the House and Senate. Don't want to start any political discussions but it's now waiting on our President to sign.

Here is the update from the CMP website:

"10/08/15 An update on the 1911sIT HAS PASSED THE SENATE!

The legislation has passed both the House and Senate. It will now head to the Presidents desk for signature. If signed, we will meet with Army to develop procedures. All of this will take time. We have no further information. When information becomes available we will communicate with our customers.

Thank you,

Mark Johnson

Chief Operating Officer"

I think for the CMP to stay in business, they are going to have to offer more products (aka 1911's). The Garands are running lower and the M1 Carbines are gone. ( I'm talking about the general population that can afford these items thru the CMP). I agree this is still years away.

• 2 weeks later...

CMP just messaged today that veto took place and time will stand still on these 1911's til we get another Defense appropriations bill out of congress.

There is hope! Both the House and Senate passed a revised NDAA which I believe still includes the sale of surplus Army 1911s. through the CMP. The President can still veto the revised version but the Washington Post has reported that congress has the votes to override a veto.

It appears that the NDAA passed by the Senate and sent to the President contained the part to transfer the M1911/1911A1s. Section 1087 of the November 3 bill as it went to the floor (as best I can determine) contained the language "the Secretary may transfer to the corporation, [CMP I assume] in accordance with the procedure prescribed in this subchapter, surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols and spare parts . . . [that] are surplus to the requirements of the Department of the Army . . ." and the transfer is limited to no more than 10,000 pistols per year.
I hope more information will be made available.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to throw any cold water on this, but I would not be in any hurry to save up for one of the pistols.

Yes, the bill passed, and Yes, the president signed it. Part of the Defense Bill which he simply had to sign this time. The required procedures will take quite a bit of time to implement, so it will be awhile.

BUT (and I have been in contact with some people in Congress on this) the wording is:

1) Subject to paragraph (2), the Secretary MAY transfer to the corporation, in accordance with the procedure prescribed in this subchapter, surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols and spare parts and related accessories for those pistols that, on the date of the enactment of this subsection, are under the control of the Secretary and are surplus to the requirements of the Department of the Army, and such material as may be recovered by the Secretary pursuant to section 40728A(a) of this title. The Secretary shall determine a reasonable schedule for the transfer of such surplus pistols.

The key word of course is MAY - not SHALL. I have been told that the Secretary may be under some pressure from above to hold off on the MAY part, possibly until a President takes office that will allow the sale to go through.

Another point:

Each report required by this subsection shall include, for the period covered by the report—

(I) the number of firearms described in subsection (a)(2) transferred under the pilot program; and

(ii) information on any crimes committed using firearms transferred under the pilot program.

(iii) Limitation on transfer of surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols

The Secretary may not transfer firearms described in subsection ((2) under subchapter II of chapter 407 of title 36, United States Code, until the date that is 60 days after the date of the submittal of the final report required under subsection ((4)(.

Any idea of what will happen if one or more of the pistols are used in a crime during that first year pilot program?? This report will go to Congress and I imagine one or more members may have some comments about the release of the pistols whether used in crimes or not.

• 5 months later...
phantomfixer

This is a general overview....

Talked with a Gov official over the weekend...his organization has 2500 1911's that they are preparing for transfer to the CMP, WHEN the CMP is ready to accept them...according to my source...the CMP has to designate a central location and staff the facility, then they can receive the pistols, inventory and start the sale/auction...it is his understanding the 1911's will be auctioned/sold in 10,000 lot increments....

So still a while before we see them but the wheels are turning...with the wording to accept pistols...wonder if we will see M1917 revolvers at CMP???

Sounds good to me. I always thought is was not a matter of if, but when. If CMP is going to survive, they need additional offerings.

I haven't purchased from CMP since 2009, because I felt as if there was not much left. Then they released the Bavarian returns, and I was surprised. Now to here the 1911 will happen does not surprise me at all. They will be great shooters, certainly worth purchasing one.

CMP will survive for many , many ,many years to come if they never sell another firearm. They have plenty of $$$ in their coffers. In fact I would bet they wished everything was gone so they could get down to what they are Chartered for. Promoting shooting sports and safety with the emphasis towards youth.