B-17 with exotic painting

svenfromsweden

Garandomatic

That's probably an assembly ship. They were painted in all manner of crazy patterns to get the squadrons formed up for a mission. THey were usually war weary planes, no longer suited for combat, and served on in this purpose. They would turn back after their job was complete, so they didn't fly them into combat.

• 3 weeks later...

Those miust have been a lot of fun to paint up for those guys. I wonder how they came up with such crazy schemes...? Also wonder what the Nazi pilots thought when they first saw these babies?> LOL!!

Those miust have been a lot of fun to paint up for those guys. I wonder how they came up with such crazy schemes...? Also wonder what the Nazi pilots thought when they first saw these babies?> LOL!!

They were "war Weary" and not combat birds. I believe there was only one that flew a combat mission and that was part of a maximum effort raid where everything that could fly went. It was a 24 with hand held guns. This was during a time when enemy fighters were not much of a threat anymore.

• 3 months later...