Post your Military Whistles

USMC-RECON0321

Troy,

Ok, I'll pile on... WWI Siron - Battalion, WWI Kinglet-Company - Thunderer - Platoon and squad ... I've been told the thunderers to the right with the bigger brazed on chain holders are post WW1. Not sure though, but I have treated them that way. I have not looked at it for a while but I believe the green plastic whistle is a 44 dated Army..

post-2641-0-80568200-1440450701.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Troy,

Ok, I'll pile on... WWI Siron - Battalion, WWI Kinglet-Company - Thunderer - Platoon and squad ... I've been told the thunderers to the right with the bigger brazed on chain holders are post WW1. Not sure though, but I have treated them that way. I have not looked at it for a while but I believe the green plastic whistle is a 44 dated Army..

ccyooper,

Very nice collection. Love the siren whistle. When you say the thunderers to the right with the bigger brazed on chain holders are post WW1, Do mean the two directly to the left of the Green plastic whistle? And if so, then you're thinking 1920's or 30's era correct?

post-33000-0-60551000-1440464756.jpg

Interesting.

Also, what is the story with the one that looks like it has a bullet casing attached?

Troy

Troy,

Regarding the whistles you marked, yes. I believe that patent was issued in 1927 registering the Thunderer trademark. A whistle guy might know the correct answer to that. So believe those whistles could be used from that time through WWII. I don't recall the story on the unmarked whistle with the USC Co 18, 45 cal round attached to it. It either came with some WWI items I picked up or with something I purchased on ebay. Since I had to dig them out I checked and the green one is a 43 Army and not 44. I almost forgot this Wilson sporting whistle, labeled The Thunderer - with England underneath the mouth piece. It was in the pocket of a WWII grouping I picked up. The whistle was made prior to 1925 because that is when Wilson stopped using the Thos E. Wilson label. It is nickel plated.

Regards,

CC

post-2641-0-61876300-1440526922.jpg

post-2641-0-25935700-1440529041.jpg

Very very cool subject matter guys, I really dig all the different styles/variations. Unique topic thanks for sharing!

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

My museum recently received a "The Acme Thunderer" "Patent England" whistle like #3 in the original post although this one is likely brass. It came with a donation of WWI material, the soldier was a Sgt. with the 314th Engineers. I haven't been able to find information on if these were U.S. military issue during WWI?  Does anyone have any sources which would indicate they were?  Thanks in advance

whistle.jpg