Early P37 H&H Officer Cover Emblem

Brig

This just brought $210 on eBay, and I think it's a fairly early and scarce strike of the H&H cover emblem. Rope is attached differently, more pronounced and less wrapped than the common variant, and there is a gap between the eagle's legs. Not to mention the roller which reminds me of those seen on screwback Iron Crosses, but we all know you can't rely on rollers as indicators or originals

$_57.JPG

$_57 (1).jpg

I watched that one as well, the cutout between the legs does not look original to the manufacturer. I would have bid but looked to be messed with a little to much. Still a nice looking bird that will look good displayed.

I am not certain the rope is attached as it came from the firm, but the holes in the legs seem to have a raised edge all the way around which seems very uniform, I would expect it to look much rougher is hand punched

I didn't win it, I was just watching it. Was just posting it here for reference.

Sorry, obviously misread your orginal post. Guess I saw "brought" and read "bought."

If the cutout between the legs is added, is there an example of unmodified emblems with enough space there to be cut out? My HH doesn't seem to have enough room there to be modified like this without the legs becoming obviously thinner.

That said, the auction photos of the front ain't great--there isn't a good view if the area in question. Before the auction ended, I scoured the reference section for a similar example, but didn't come up with anything.

I don't know, I'm skeptical here and really think this one was modified by someone. Maybe it's period but I personally don't think it came out of H&H that way.

I would like to see the piece in hand or at least with a straight-on close up pic of the area between the legs. To me, it looks like someone tried to copy the Meyer style of looping.

Not the best photos but it appears to have a "5" and ? "1" on the left anchor crossbar. I meant to add that the patina looks heat related but again, the PIC's could be better.

post-50776-0-03940500-1440386320.jpg

I don't have the book with Jim Moran's EGA section but I thought he showed the H&H change in device around 1937 going from (left to right below). Is that not correct? I don't see any references showing the style on the right prior to '37.

Still learning.

Tim

post-50776-0-01199000-1440386515.jpg

The one on the left is not a model 1919-37, it was used throughout WWII and was an Imperial style before the firm was absorbed into H&H.

Hi Tim,

This attachment is what I was going off of. You can see the dress emblems are dated as such, although he then shows the service examples as variations.

Tim

post-50776-0-15299300-1440446448.jpg

Which reference book is that? Does it just cover EGA's?

Don't quote me but I believe its the Appendix written by Steve Orgell in Jim Moran's "U.S. Marine Uniforms 1912-1940".

I only have some saved pages as e-files.

Tim

post-50776-0-68039600-1440720073.jpg