A little help identifying this cannon-like gun?

soccersaver97

soccersaver97

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. My name is Jarrett, I am 18 and about to head off to college. I love to collect/buy&sell antiques in general. I often buy militaria too if I believe it is unique. Back to this topic though... I recently purchased this photo from a local auction, but I wasn't able to figure out what model/make this gun was. I believe the photo is from around 1900. If anyone here can identify the gun or direct me to a source that might help me identify it, it would be greatly appreciated! (Lmk if the photos aren't high enough quality, I can always email larger photos if need be)

post-159909-0-14469500-1440247870.jpg

post-159909-0-13417900-1440247879.jpg

post-159909-0-66916400-1440247893.jpg

post-159909-0-77960700-1440247916.jpg

post-159909-0-21526500-1440247925.jpg

I am moving this to our Firearms and Ordnance section for a better answer.

I've seen this before, and I believe it was designed to be used by naval or Marine landing parties.

I have gone crazy trying to find this thing.

I have found a number of photos of Span Am period machine guns that were mounted in a similar fashion.

http://www.spanamwar.com/Coltmachinegun.htm

I have also found photos of larger landing party howitzers.

But this does not appear to be a machine gun.

The other thing is the size of this is rather puny. It makes you wonder what the thought was in designing it.

There is a chance this is not US.

You may also want to research "Mountain Guns". What ever this thing is, it was designed to be lightweight for easily manhandling. Very likely the whole this disassembled for transport either by boat or mule.

I am not being very successful in identifying this, but I am finding a lot about what it is not!

coltmachinegun.jpg

soccersaver97

Hahaha, I really really appreciate your research! I took it to several of my friends that know militaria pretty well and was also unsuccessful. I will look into those mountain guns and small cannons to see if I can come up with something! Thank you for your help!

I looked at photos of the Hotchkiss gun. It appears to have a round breech, while this one looks to have a rectangular breech. There is also some small rectangular structure above the breech on this one that did not match up with the Hotchkiss gun. I also don't think this is as large as 37mm.

For all we know this was an experimental model, or someone's back yard project.

One vulnerability of this weapon is the operator is fully exposed.

May be a one of a kind and the individual is the inventor. Perhaps a half scale example. Probably found in patent records no matter what it is.

Wharf

soccersaver97

I also looked at the hotchkiss gun, and I agree that it is close but not quite right. It could definitely be a homemade model, especially since he appears to be in his backyard. I appreciate all of your help in trying to tackle this mystery gun!

I looked at photos of the Hotchkiss gun. It appears to have a round breech, while this one looks to have a rectangular breech. There is also some small rectangular structure above the breech on this one that did not match up with the Hotchkiss gun. I also don't think this is as large as 37mm.

For all we know this was an experimental model, or someone's back yard project.

One vulnerability of this weapon is the operator is fully exposed.

I agree with Gil. I think it's a an experimental gun because the fellow shooting it is a civilian.....or at least dressed like one.

Ronnie

No, it's not an experimental gun. (And simply having a man in civilian attire firing it is not evidence that it is.) The gun looks like a Model 1906 50mm Krupps mountain cannon.

Salvage Sailor

And simply having a man in civilian attire firing it is not evidence that it is

It also does not make him an American

Jarrett, is there a studio or makers mark you can see on the photo or frame?

soccersaver97

There actually is a mark. It says "Hennigar Bros", which was formed in 1890 and is out of Connecticut.

I think the model 1906 Krupps might be 100% correct. I was looking for the same hand crank when comparing models and the Krupps is the first to have a hand crank in the same location.

Salvage Sailor

Interesting, having a Krupps gun in your Connecticut backyard.....

Must have nice neighbors

My original thought was also a Mountain gun, probably English or German.

Maybe it is just my eye, but the barrel on the subject cannon looks too narrow to match the Model 1906 50mm Krupps mountain cannon. I don't think the bore is that large on this one.

This appears to be a backyard cannon project. It is not even close to a real 1906 or earlier Krupps mountain rifle. Just start at the barrel end and work your back and you will see the differences. The smooth tapered barrel is somewhat like a Hotchkiss gun but that's about all that matches up. No expert but it just doesn't add up to be a production gun. The trail looks homemade as well at the sort of tractor seat item he appears to be sitting on. Just my humble opinion.

Salvage Sailor

I'd be checking the local newspapers to see it any barns acquired mysterious holes or outhouses were blown to smithereens.