question on a 1928A1 Thompson

usaaf93

Hello

I would like to purchase an M1928A1 thompson to put on a display about the 82nd airborne in Sicily but I have several questions.

Were all the models of thompson used during ww2 ?

Did the airborne use only some models of thompson ?

Would this model of thompson be ok for my paratrooper ?

Thanks

post-106404-0-52749900-1440180919.jpg

That Thompson was made in 1942, late production M1928A1 with simple Lyman rear peep sight. Smooth barrel, nickle plated bolt and smooth actuator knob. Its the last M1928A1 model produced before production switched to the new M1 model of 1943. The types of Thompsons used during WWII follows: M1928A1, M1, and M1A1. Yes yours was used. However most Thompsons seen during HUSKEY are the earlier type. You see, as your Thompson was being made, the 82nd paras were drawing weapons. Smooth barrel peep sight M1928A1s for the most part did not start reaching combat units by 1943. So you would want a finned barrel 1928A1 with an adjustable Lyman rear sight if you want to be 100 Percent about it. but yours would work fine.

The Military officially picked up the Thompson in the 1920's, but only a handful were ordered during peacetime. Production picked up in 1940. They continued to make the finned barrel Lyman Thompsons up into 1942. So your para could have had a weapon made from 1940 up to 1942. Go to machinegunboards.com and check out the thompson page there. They know everything Thompson.

hbtcoveralls

ok thanks. I guess they are rarer than the previous one as it is twice the price

Actually the one with the smooth barrel and simple sight is much rarer but is less desireable.

Tom Bowers

Cobra 6 Actual

Hello

I would like to purchase an M1928A1 thompson to put on a display about the 82nd airborne in Sicily but I have several questions.

Were all the models of thompson used during ww2 ?

Did the airborne use only some models of thompson ?

Would this model of thompson be ok for my paratrooper ?

Thanks

As an aside, the Thompson was still being used as late as 1969: I had one for a few months when assigned to Military Assistance Command, Vietnam (MACV) that looked just like your pictured one, except it did not have a Cutts Compensator. Also, I removed the stock to lighten it a bit.

The big problem was that the fully loaded 'stick' magazines were crazy heavy, so after a couple of months I went back to an M16.

hbtcoveralls

Can you explain why Tom ? Thanks

The ford Pinto is a rare car today, there are very few left on the road and most aren't considered collectible. The Ford mustang was produced in much higher numbers for a longer time and is therefore not as rare, but is normally worth a lot more money because it is more desireable. Same thing here with the Thompsons. The earlier type with all the iconic Thompson features like the Cutts compensator, the finned barrel and the Adjustable Lyman sight was produced for a longer time, in greater numbers and is therefore more common, but is seen as more desirable than the arguably less produced and rarer late production '28 thompson with the smooth barrel and fixed stock. In some ways I always prefer the rare versions but most collectors look for the "icon" the most emblematic of the series and that will be the 28 with all the bells and whistles

Tom Bowers

• 4 years later...

I know your comment was made a long time ago, but nice analogy Tom!

I appreciate that, I learned long ago that rare isn't always the same as desirable,