Red Cross Nursing Services Student Reserve Ribbon Bar

hirsca

Estate sale find today. I could find very little info on the internet. From what little I did find, I believe that it is WW2 vintage. Can anyone provide information on this organization and verify its era? It's hard to see in my picture, but the reverse of the ribbon bar has black tape that looks original to the piece. Thanks in advance, Al.

post-12790-0-77660900-1440110077.jpg

post-12790-0-94892900-1440110099.jpg

hirsca,

A great little find. I've seen dozens of odd Red Cross related pins, but never this one.

Definitely WWII. Many groups were trying to get young people involved in the war effort, and "student reserve" groups are common.

I hope some of our RC people can add to the knowledge.

Thanks for sharing,

Bluejacket

hirsca,

A great little find. I've seen dozens of odd Red Cross related pins, but never this one.

Definitely WWII. Many groups were trying to get young people involved in the war effort, and "student reserve" groups are common.

I hope some of our RC people can add to the knowledge.

Thanks for sharing,

Bluejacket

Thanks Bluejacket. I definitely hope to learn more about it. Do you think that members of this student reserve were of high school age or were they students in nursing schools?

Thanks again, Al.

Al,

I looked thru my reference books for both the ARC and the ANC. I also looked under the cadet corps. I didn't see this ribbon for any of these three. I did find this old post where someone had dog tags with the same ribbon being mentioned that you have. Since his came with dog tags, I wonder if it is for the ANC.

I will keep looking....Kat

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/165066-need-help-locating-info-on-army-nurse/

Thanks Bluejacket. I definitely hope to learn more about it. Do you think that members of this student reserve were of high school age or were they students in nursing schools?

Thanks again, Al.

Al,

Hard to say without more info, but either, or neither, may be the case. I used to be a Red Cross instructor in many of their programs and they had, and still have, many pins and badges to show levels of training. This ribbon is basically a recognition device to show the wearer as a member of a group. It could be a group of high school students who were trained in very basic first aid and emergency work in a civil defense environment, or it could be for nursing students who haven't graduated, but have training for supporting emergency services. Or it could be none of the above.

The WWII ARC was a very complex organization that went into every level of society. I'm sure they had literature about this groups mission, and there are copies of that material somewhere. In spite of the rumor, everything isn't on line yet, but posting like this will help find it.

When I was with the ARC I had occasion to contact their archives at the Washington DC headquarters. They were pretty good and responsive then, but I have heard the RC has made changes that didn't sound good. Check their website and look for their archives ( I think it has another name) and contact them. Send a photo and ask a question. Can't hurt.

Bluejacket

Al,

I looked thru my reference books for both the ARC and the ANC. I also looked under the cadet corps. I didn't see this ribbon for any of these three. I did find this old post where someone had dog tags with the same ribbon being mentioned that you have. Since his came with dog tags, I wonder if it is for the ANC.

I will keep looking....Kat

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/165066-need-help-locating-info-on-army-nurse/

Hi Kat. Thanks for your help. I failed to mention in my original post that the pin came from the estate of WW2 US Army dentist Lloyd F. Richards O-518314.. In the large amount of his militaria that was at the sale, there was what looked like a nurse's cape with the letters HHSN embroidered on each side of the collar. (?) Hospital Student Nurse? His trunk showed his civilian address as Royal Oak, Michigan. Again, your help is much appreciated.

Al

post-12790-0-03271000-1440158073.jpg

Al,

Hard to say without more info, but either, or neither, may be the case. I used to be a Red Cross instructor in many of their programs and they had, and still have, many pins and badges to show levels of training. This ribbon is basically a recognition device to show the wearer as a member of a group. It could be a group of high school students who were trained in very basic first aid and emergency work in a civil defense environment, or it could be for nursing students who haven't graduated, but have training for supporting emergency services. Or it could be none of the above.

The WWII ARC was a very complex organization that went into every level of society. I'm sure they had literature about this groups mission, and there are copies of that material somewhere. In spite of the rumor, everything isn't on line yet, but posting like this will help find it.

When I was with the ARC I had occasion to contact their archives at the Washington DC headquarters. They were pretty good and responsive then, but I have heard the RC has made changes that didn't sound good. Check their website and look for their archives ( I think it has another name) and contact them. Send a photo and ask a question. Can't hurt.

Bluejacket

Hi Bluejacket. The mystery continues.... Thanks for your help.

Al

And the related text from page 734 (last paragraph of selection)-

attachicon.gifUSMF25.jpg

Larry

Well Larry, do I feel like a dumb axx or not? Not only do I thank you for the info, but I have that issue of NG 12-43 in my collection, now in my hand, looking at it. Thanks so much for leading me in the right direction.

Al