WWII USMC Named Ex-D Ring UNIS haversack need help ID'ing

FSBE

Hey all,

Picked this up from a fellow forum member. It's a nice and salty 1st pattern that was at one point a D ring but they were unfortunately cut off and replaced with buckles. It's UNIS marked to a Private in HQ, 23rd Marines. There's a name but I can't seem to find it anywhere in musters but I might just be reading it wrong.

John

post-153324-0-50317700-1440079901.jpg

post-153324-0-16139800-1440079913.jpg

Looks like 'Mc Inerney'.

Aha! And so it is! Found Thomas P McInerney, Listed in HQ and Service Company, 23rd Marines in July 1943 - October 1944. Thanks a ton for the advice!

John

RustyCanteen

Hi John,

No problem, glad you were able to ID him. it is a nice looking pack. The riveted ones are among my favorite pieces of WWII equipment.

Hi,

very nice pack indeed !!

About it being an ex-D Ring ... what makes you say that ? Late riveted specimens did not have d-rings which quickly proved inadequate.

E

Hi,

very nice pack indeed !!

About it being an ex-D Ring ... what makes you say that ? Late riveted specimens did not have d-rings which quickly proved inadequate.

E

I can tell because there is an area where both rings were cut off. Only one strap has an "M" buckle left now.

John

I can tell because there is an area where both rings were cut off. Only one strap has an "M" buckle left now.

John

Hello John,

may you post some photos of the modification ?

Thanks, E