German WW2 Helmet -the horrors of paint overs

River Patrol

River Patrol

Went for a buy the other day and the young man ( maybe 25 yo) wanted to give me a helmet his grandfather brought back from his service in Italy. I thought it was gonna be something weird but it turned out to be German WW2, as far as I can tell. I have next to zero skills when it comes to helmets except to know this is an obvious paint over. I'm certain the shell is original. It was free, so I couldn't say no. Let me know what you think I should do with it. Do people buy these just for the shells?

IMG_20150820_075117.jpg

IMG_20150820_075032.jpg

River Patrol

There is a liner but most of the leather near the top have become brittle and torn away.

IMG_20150820_075152.jpg

Looks like an original M40 shell (the edges are rolled under) - What is the condition of the liner as that could add more money

Poeple do buy these but usually for a $100 or so unless a proven SS shell.

Yes the paint is not origianl WW2 and you could remove or let the new owner do it? You don't want to ruin the original paint which can be tricky - I have never done it so someone else could chime it for ideas to remove the paint or not?

hbtcoveralls

There are plenty of threads on the US helmet topic on USMF about how to use a product called "Goof Off" to take the top layer or layers of paint off. The results can be quite good and very striking. If this were mine I would want to try taking off that hideous gold paint to see what's underneath before letting it go. You might find rare or important camo or markings or decals. Document the process with photos. The difference in price point between the helmet in it's current condition and one taken back to it's original paint could be dramatic

Tom Bowers

Before you strip the paint down I'd have soomeone who knows German helmets look at it. I have a tan one that came from a War Bond drive, the wear on the helmet looks right for a real WW II paint job. Is there rust coming through the paint? No idea about the eagle. Years ago I stripped a Norwegian rework for reenacting and under the fake paint I ruined the Norwegian Air Force decals.

From what I can tell it is a m40 Luftwaffe helmet. I think I see a decal under the vent hole, a close up picture would confirm. Can you see the maker and size? It will be on the side of the inside rim towards the front if you are holding the helmet and looking down towards the helmet it will be on the left side.

River Patrol

Oh wow....thanks for the information. I'll get better pics tonight and look for the numbers....I remember one was Q66. I'm glad I didn't sandblast it (just kidding).

IMG_20150820_091458.jpg

If it looks like it could be period done I would not be so quick to strip it or sell it for nothing. Similar helmets (over paint, stenciled eagle on front or side) have been attributed to Volksturm units which were organized at the very end of the war.

I recently sold this one for $8000 to a dealer.

post-1464-13102411908888.jpg

River Patrol

Thanks Eric.

The grandson claims this is exactly how it came back from the war. Perhaps I shouldn't rush to judgement, since I admittedly know very little about helmets.

ya gotta let us know what you find out: this is an interesting thread [even if NON US related] just shows how as a collector we should never automatically write something off.......

I don't recall saying that this one (Steve's) is an $8000 helmet. My point (by providing an example of a similar paint job) was illustrate the fact that this could be a legitimate period done piece and there could be more value there than $100

Did not mean to offend, I was not saying that your comment was stating that his helmet was worth 8000.00 I was bragging that you sold a m38, which are a great helmet for anyone collecting German items.

River Patrol

Interior is roached...exterior paint is thin and rusting on top.

IMG_20150820_180541.jpg

IMG_20150820_180626.jpg

This will be my last post today due to forum rules. An m40 will have only one decal and I really believe a see a Luftwaffe eagle decal on the right side, if you were looking at the helmet straight on that right side. It is there I am sure of it, but I am 47 years and do not have to best eye sight anymore. Marty

Hey they let me post again. The helmet is in the range and maker for a Luftwaffe helmet. The helmet to me seems to have been used by the Civilian army. I do not believe it is a combat used helmet, not by the civilian army anyway it was used by the Luftwaffe army at one time. I think it was used maybe by a fire brigade or factory worker or in that capacity... Just a thought

Marty

100% RIGHT--- MANY GERMAN LIDS WERE REISSUED AT NEAR WARS END TO VARIOUS UNITS ON THE HOME FRONT. HELMETS THAT WERE BATTLE DAMAGED WERE REPAIRED AND ISSUED AGAIN. MANY COLLECTORS THINK THAT IF A HELMET IS A REPAINT OR HAS A FUNNY LINER IT MUST BE PLAYED WITH. NOT THE CASE------

The spills on the helmet maybe post war, but if not I still believe the helmet was not used in a combat situation, why would you fight the Russians or Americans wearing a gold helmet. I still stick to factory or such for the helmets reissued purpose. I WOULD NOT STRIP the helmet. Marty

Do NOT strip the paint from this helmet!! I'm fairly certain what you have is a white camo helmet that has had a coat of clear lacquer applied at some time. The lacquer has turned yellow with age, hence the gold coloration. The eagle...who knows. I've had a one helmet out of the woodwork with a hand painted eagle that I felt was period done (by the german soldier). Could be vet art, or post war too...tough to say.